Circular saw upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I can’t say I saw this one coming!

Circular saw upgrade

Reactions: FTG-05
Dang.
Where's the chain brake that engages upon kickback...?

Kickback was the first thing I thought of. The chain brake never crossed my mind.

Good catch!

It's a scary piece.
Stumpy Nubs has a few videos on YouTube about similar implements.

Why would you get kickback if you use it as intended? You won't be jabbing the end into the wood, and with the direction of rotation it will just pull the saw down onto the saws deck if it grabs.

Really I’d rather the really big circ saws and cut both sides. I thought about one when cutting beams out of a 4” slab. My guide attachment for the chainsaw didn’t work very well.

I've seen circular saws jump out of people's hands when they squeezed the piece in the wrong way.
Folks using circular saws are often not aware of kickback possibilities; not used to thinking about it as we are.
Any misalignment can result in kickback with this thing.

Those have been out for years...

• Wow
Reactions: stoveliker
I've seen circular saws jump out of people's hands when they squeezed the piece in the wrong way.
Folks using circular saws are often not aware of kickback possibilities; not used to thinking about it as we are.
Any misalignment can result in kickback with this thing.

The physics involved are different though. A circular saw typically pinches at the bottom, where the blade is travelling away from the operator, kicking the entire saw back at the operator.

This is different, mostly, a pinch on the cutting side pulls the saw down into the wood. Only if you managed to pinch the backside would it kick back up.

The physics involved are different though. A circular saw typically pinches at the bottom, where the blade is travelling away from the operator, kicking the entire saw back at the operator.

This is different, mostly, a pinch on the cutting side pulls the saw down into the wood. Only if you managed to pinch the backside would it kick back up.
You are right of course.
However, my circular saw has a cover that slams back when the blade gets out of the wood.
This thing will have a rotating chain exposed.I prefer it not to kick back up at me or flying over the place like that.

Anyway to each his own. This thing won't be mine...