Choosing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Revid

Dec 2, 2019
NL Canada
Just built a 24x28’ log cabin and looking to buy wood stove. Just returned a stove bought from CTC cause couldn’t get it to burn right, come to find out need 15’ chimney but only had 12’. Anyway trying to decide between a Drolet ht-3000 @ $2000 and a Pacific Energy Summit @ $2800. Anyone with any of these stoves that can give me a review and or comment?

Is the 12' straight up or are there some 90º turns in the flue path?

Both stoves are fairly easy breathing stoves. A close friend has a Summit as their only source of heat. Their chimney is only 12' and has a 90º turn in it but the stove still works well. You might also consider the Drolet Baltic II (or more basic Austral II) which is specced for a 12' minimum chimney height.

This is a pic of the pipes.5’ straight with two 45s. The 45s are 3’ total . Then 4’ to the cap

Attachments

• Choosing wood stove
    D5F98369-B084-4EDA-90F5-2DC7337160B3.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 134
Is the 12' straight up or are there some 90º turns in the flue path?

Both stoves are fairly easy breathing stoves. A close friend has a Summit as their only source of heat. Their chimney is only 12' and has a 90º turn in it but the stove still works well. You might also consider the Drolet Baltic II (or more basic Austral II) which is specced for a 12' minimum chimney height.
Kinda want the 18” wood length that you can load straight and not cross ways. The higher btu also cause I have cathedral ceiling

All of those stoves can load an 18" split N/S. Is there a ceiling fan in the stove room?

Two ceiling fans can be used to establish a nice convective flow with one reversed (blowing upward) and one blowing downward. Low speed is fine. It doesn't take much.

Reactions: Sawset
Two ceiling fans can be used to establish a nice convective flow with one reversed (blowing upward) and one blowing downward. Low speed is fine. It doesn't take much.
Meaning it’s circulating the air?? I just want to make sure the stove I choose will heat the cabin up well enough to stand the outside -20 temps . Rather have an overkill than looking for heat. Lol

Yes, circulating the air.

What did you use for chinking between the logs? Is there any additional insulation in the roof or walls?

Yes, circulating the air.

What did you use for chinking between the logs? Is there any additional insulation in the roof or walls?
1” cladmate(close cell styrofoam R5) on cathedral ceiling and R20 on bed room ceilings(90”ceilings). Sill gasket and backer rod between logs. Too late and too old to chink.

Too late and too old to chink.
I hear you on that one. My wife grew up in a chestnut log inn made in the 1930s. Pretty, but lots of chinking there.

I hear you on that one. My wife grew up in a chestnut log inn made in the 1930s. Pretty, but lots of chinking there.
Was supposed to say to late and to cold but to late and to old works also. Lol will chunk this summer cause chinking is water based and weather needs to be a lot warmer.

What was the stove you returned to CTC?

Hi,

Check out this website for a suggestion for a good woodstove. They use significantly less wood than a traditional one and are small enough to also be used in applications such as a boat, tiny home or RV.

The BTU output of the Kimberly is 40, and the Katydid produces 55.

They both also generate electricity - see the photo below with the lantern - via thermo-electric generation. You can also cook on them. Great if you lose electricity or want to live off grid!

Unforgettablefirellc.com

And the you tube channel (some really neat stuff!):

Unforgettablefirellc

These are great wood stoves, easy to install, maintain and clean (no need to get on your roof!).
Choosing wood stove
Choosing wood stove
Choosing wood stove
Choosing wood stove
Choosing wood stove

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I recommend a Vornado fan instead of trying to use two ceiling fans, although I understand the reasoning. The Vornado blows air out in a "tubular" shape versus a traditional fan blowing more in an outward "V" shape. This allows you to more accurately direct the warm air where you want it to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk