Chips & Rust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heatedpyro

Feb 29, 2024
United States
Just bought a new home that came with a pellet stove which I love, but I noticed that there chips in the porcelain and rust within the chips and on the bottom of the stove. I'm worried about safety, usability, and aesthetics in that order. I believe it is a Harmon Absolute 63.

Are thse chips & rust something I should be worried about, and how can I go about fixing them?

Chips & Rust
Chips & Rust
Chips & Rust

The only thing I can see that would remotely be cause for fairly near future concern is around the door to the ash bin (and even that is probably fine for a couple of years). If you could only fix/repair one part of the stove, that would be it. Or, if you have the will to do several/all spots, do the legs and other aesthetic areas first, for practice, then do where the door seals (get a smoother finished product so there aren't issues with the seal).

Use Dremel to clean rust best you can, apply a rust converter following directions, then paint they make touch up paint for that color enamel on Harmon. I don't see anything safety or usability issues that wouldn't be OK for 10+ years takes a long time to rust through cast iron legs. Looks mostly aesthetics.

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...CyChQR_R0F3Ew48XOkd7xoBI7h_aItaUaAjs9EALw_wcB

https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.c...4Qh4xIRwkwamRqBrTt_n7hja7QX7JdPAaAkt5EALw_wcB
@ARC What attachment for the dremel would you use to clean up the rust without chipping off the enamel? I have a similar situation as @heatedpyro with my Jotul F400. Thanks!

Metal brush or shaped stone depending on if part is flat or has angles. Any enamel chipping off probably has rust under it and you would want it to come off anyways. Important part is to get the rust converter on any remaining rust converter will not damage enamel. Then paint with touch up it will never be perfect but it will look better then the rust.

Tf did they do to that thing? Tie to a chain and drag it behind a truck? Why would someone be so so rough with that? I can't remotely think of any reason why it would be that chipped up other than crappy transport.

Tf did they do to that thing? Tie to a chain and drag it behind a truck? Why would someone be so so rough with that? I can't remotely think of any reason why it would be that chipped up other than crappy transport.
I have another thread about my blue enamel Jotul f400 stove trying to determine the actual Jotul color so I can try to repair some enamel chips. This is my first enamel stove but apparently all it takes is a piece of wood into the finish and it can throw a chip. I’ll have to update my post with more pictures of the chips, but I want to try to get it cleaned up so it’s less likely to “flake off”, in theory anyway.

What it really depends on is how clean the metal was before the enamel was applied same as powder coating. In the 70's or so when the auto companies changed over to a lot of powder coating to comply with plant emissions standards they had a devil of time getting the vehicle panels clean enough, rust would start under the powder coating and eventually hole through ( still happens but no where near as bad as back in the day ) do you remember seeing those big round rust spots on vehicles that were only a few years old?. They litterly run the stuff through an acid/ neutralizing wash now before priming and such.

Reactions: gruesome
Just bought a new home that came with a pellet stove which I love, but I noticed that there chips in the porcelain and rust within the chips and on the bottom of the stove. I'm worried about safety, usability, and aesthetics in that order. I believe it is a Harmon Absolute 63.

Are thse chips & rust something I should be worried about, and how can I go about fixing them?

View attachment 325300View attachment 325301View attachment 325302
Contact a Harman dealer and you can order a toucgh up porcelain kit. But first you need to sand and treat the rust area to prevent them from showing thru later https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.com/products/harman-majolica-brown-touch-up-paint-1-00-0014