Chinese Ash Borer Found in Missouri

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Heat

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
St. Louis, Missouri
I ran across this today. I think this fits under "conservation" of wood resources. It's believed the beetle was transported in firewood.

The emerald ash borer is a small, metallic green beetle native to Asia. Its larvae burrow into the bark of ash trees, causing trees to starve and die. While the emerald ash borer does not pose any direct risk to public health, it does threaten Missouri’s ash tree populations.

Ash trees make up approximately 3 percent of forests and 14 percent of urban trees in Missouri. Since no ash trees in North America are known to be resistant to the pest, infestations are devastating to these tree species.

Missouri is the ninth state to have a confirmed emerald ash borer infestation. The pest was first found in Michigan in 2002. Since that time, seven other states (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Virginia) have confirmed infestations. Missouri is the farthest south and west of any other known emerald ash borer infestation.

Full link: http://mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/news/news_search.cgi?item=1217360081,51717,

Just completely awesome. People don't know how something as stupid as hauling firewood can wipe out an entire species. They haven't made it to Athens Ohio yet, but I'm sure they'll be here in a matter of a year or two. I have a TON of ash trees on my property. It is going to completely change the ecosystem and landscape...

Status
Not open for further replies.