Chimney Sweepings...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wooduser

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2018
seattle, wa
So what do you guys do with your cups, quarts or gallons of chimney sweepings?

That's fuel, I suppose, but do you burn it or throw it out?

Much or most of mine lands back in the stove and gets burned up I suppose.

So what do you guys do with your cups, quarts or gallons of chimney sweepings?

That's fuel, I suppose, but do you burn it or throw it out?

Much or most of mine lands back in the stove and gets burned up I suppose.
We throw it out.

I leave it where it lands in the stove and burn it with the next fire.

Last edited:
I burn it.

I chuck it into the woods along with the ashes.

If it was just the stuff from my chimney it would just get thrown in the ash pile. But we get quite a bit of it. The pile would get really big pretty quick

Reactions: velvetfoot
Leave it where it lands . . . which is outside. Come Summer time there is no trace.

Trash can.

At first I wanted to see just what it was that came down from brushing the chimney pipe. I took a torch to it to see if would burn - nope. Soot and ash, about 2 cups was all it was. I brush up from the inside after taking 6ft of double wall off to get at the class a insulated. Tape on a feed bag, poke a hole for the brush rod, up goes the brush, down comes the soot in the bag. Then the bag and whatever lands in it gets thrown out.

We typically get less than a cup and just burn it with the next fire.

Last edited: