Chimney Liner Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Since most of that opening will be obscured by the stove, can the OP use an ornate cast support for the T?
No they would need to use a tee support designed for the chimney system they choose to use.

Even better. Thanks

I'm wondering if a supported class A chimney could end in a cleanout tee in this space with a double-wall stove pipe coming off the snout to the stove?

cfuerst, does the stove have the Woodstock supplied, UL listed rear heat shield attached to it?
Yes it does and the stovepipe will be double wall. Which will maintain my 6" clearances.

I'm wondering if a supported class A chimney could end in a cleanout tee in this space with a double-wall stove pipe coming off the snout to the stove?

cfuerst, does the stove have the Woodstock supplied, UL listed rear heat shield attached to it?

This was my intention with a Class A liner installed within the existing pipe. Can someone explain why a class A chimney will work but not a class A liner. My install is going to be much more difficult if I have to rip out everything. And I really have no other options. It's either install a liner or tear down my walls to gain access to the existing chimney pipe. I'm already way over budget on this project and I honestly don't think that's an option for me at this point.

Yes it does and the stovepipe will be double wall. Which will maintain my 6" clearances.
Make sure not to forget it is 9" above.

This was my intention with a Class A liner installed within the existing pipe. Can someone explain why a class A chimney will work but not a class A liner. My install is going to be much more difficult if I have to rip out everything. And I really have no other options. It's either install a liner or tear down my walls to gain access to the existing chimney pipe. I'm already way over budget on this project and I honestly don't think that's an option for me at this point.
Because a liner is designed to go into specific types of chimneys. And an unsupported air cooled chimney without the proper air circulation is not one of the types of chimneys they are designed for. The wood at the bottom of the chimney is way to close as well.

What is on the top of the chimney chase? That is how I would replace the existing chimney. I have done it plenty of times you pull the chase cover and climb down in there. I understand it is late in the game to find this out and it is frustrating. But there is no safe or code compliant way to do what you are proposing.

Reactions: Squisher
Can he use rigid insulated double wall inside the existing pipe?

Can he use rigid insulated double wall inside the existing pipe?
No he does not have a chimney suitable for any type of liner