Chimney Liner Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cfuerst

Oct 30, 2013
Hopewell Junction, NY
I am installing a Woodstock Progress Hybrid woodstove in our house. There was an existing Majestic woodstove previously. The chimney pipe is 8 inches in diameter and I am aware that I will need to reline the chimney with the appropriate chimney liner and size. My 2 questions are: Do I absolutely need to insulate my chimney pipe when it is located in the center of my house? And, if so, will a 6" chimney pipe with insulation fit within my existing 8"? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Is this a masonry chimney or a prefab metal one?

Can you clarify? Was the previous installation a Majestic wood stove or zero clearance fireplace? What is the proposed plan for installing the PH? Pictures are welcome.

Can you clarify? Was the previous installation a Majestic wood stove or zero clearance fireplace? What is the proposed plan for installing the PH? Pictures are welcome.
Sorry. It was a Majestice zero clearance fireplace. We have removed the old fireplace and rebuilt the opening and installed a hearth to suit the new woodstove. I will try to get pictures up when i get a chance.

A 6" insulated liner will not go up the old 8" chimney. The chimney should be a 6" class A chimney. Will this be an alcove installation or was the old fireplace enclosure built out into the room and now removed so that you have a clean wall with no alcove bumpouts?

Sorry. It was a Majestice zero clearance fireplace. We have removed the old fireplace and rebuilt the opening and installed a hearth to suit the new woodstove. I will try to get pictures up when i get a chance.

Attachments

• Chimney Liner Insulation
    Screenshot_20171028-190854.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 163
    20171026_190809.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 179
    20171027_170335.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 160
    20171028_171724.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 159
    20171030_150640.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 160
A 6" insulated liner will not go up the old 8" chimney. The chimney should be a 6" class A chimney. Will this be an alcove installation or was the old fireplace enclosure built out into the room and now removed so that you have a clean wall with no alcove bumpouts?
There is no alcove bumpout. The factory fireplace was removed and the fireplace has been reconstructed with stone, firebrick, and a new hearth for the Progress Hybrid. The new stove will sit on the hearth and rear vent to a 6" liner. I just read somewhere that a liner needed to be insulated within a factory chimney pipe. I'm hoping that isn't necessary.

What is the chimney pipe? Is it the old Majestic chimney or is this with new chimney pipe that is class A? How is the chimney pipe supported?

Edit: Pics just posted show the pipe. This is completely wrong. It is air cooled pipe. It must be replaced with class A pipe and clearances to combustibles properly honored.

@bholler @webby3650 are there other options I am missing here?

Reactions: bholler
6" insulated does fit inside 8" round chimney if it is straight.

It was a prefab metal one.
Is it a stand alone chimney or is it hooked to a fireplace?

What is the chimney pipe? Is it the old Majestic chimney or is this with new chimney pipe that is class A? How is the chimney pipe supported?

Edit. Pics just posted show the pipe. This is completely wrong. It is air cooled pipe. It must be replaced with class A pipe and clearances to combustibles properly honored.

I understand. I am purchasing a 6" liner. My concern is that I may not fit a liner with insulation within that current pipe. Would it be ok to just line with appropriate chimney pipe minus insulation?

Edit: Pics just posted show the pipe. This is completely wrong. It is air cooled pipe. It must be replaced with class A pipe and clearances to combustibles properly honored.

@bholler @webby3650 are there other options I am missing here?
Nope you are right it should be replaced. I am also concerned about clearances from the pipe to the wood behind that stone. Double wall might make it but it looks tight.

@bholler is there a case where an insulated 6" liner like
I understand. I am purchasing a 6" liner. My concern is that I may not fit a liner with insulation within that current pipe. Would it be ok to just line with appropriate chimney pipe minus insulation?
NO. Don't order a liner. The new pictures explain the scenario more completely. Give bholler a chance to review before proceeding.

No you need new chimney pipe not just a liner.

@bholler is there a case where an insulated 6" liner like

NO. Don't order a liner. The new pictures explain the scenario more completely. Give bholler a chance to review before proceeding.
No that chimney is not designed to be a standalone chimney it is only meant to be sitting on top of a fireplace. There is no approved way to support it as is while allowing proper air circulation for cooling.

Nope you are right it should be replaced. I am also concerned about clearances from the pipe to the wood behind that stone. Double wall might make it but it looks tight.
Yes, this was built without full knowledge of clearance and chimney requirements.

cfuerst. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you did the right thing by getting a safety check. Wood needs protection from the intense heat possible in a flue system. Proper clearances and the right type of stove pipe and chimney are critical to your safety. We'll try to help you figure out the best way to get this fixed.

I'm wondering if a supported class A chimney could end in a cleanout tee in this space with a double-wall stove pipe coming off the snout to the stove?

cfuerst, does the stove have the Woodstock supplied, UL listed rear heat shield attached to it?

My T is supported and does not get all that hot with the insulation around it. But I also have a full masony fireplace and chimney.

Since most of that opening will be obscured by the stove, can the OP use an ornate cast support for the T?

I'm wondering if a supported class A chimney could end in a cleanout tee in this space with a double-wall stove pipe coming off the snout to the stove?

cfuerst, does the stove have the Woodstock supplied, UL listed rear heat shield attached to it?
That would probably work. If need be a short section of class a could be added to the tee also.