Chimney falling down, what are my options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DoctorDeadly

Aug 18, 2024
Idaho
My husband and I bought an 1930's house last year in eastern Idaho. Our only big issue is that the chimney is falling apart. I want to say it was built in 80's or 90's. It is an older Supreme insert in the mantle. I'm pretty sure that the chimney was originally clay lined and there are pieces of the liner when I look into the gaping hole. The chimney is going to be taken down soon.

My husband wants to keep the mantle if possible. I'm indifferent as I just want a secondary heat source. Pictures are included. I haven't ventured up to the roof to take photos but will soon. .

1) Would it be possible to connect the old firebox to a stovepipe? Or would we have to rebuild the masonry chimney?

Any input would be appreciated.
IMG_1980.jpegIMG_1939.jpegIMG_1938.jpegIMG_1937.jpeg

Last edited:
My husband and I bought an 1930's house last year in eastern Idaho. Our only big issue is that the chimney is falling apart. I want to say it was built in 80's or 90's. It is an older Supreme insert in the mantle. I'm pretty sure that the chimney was originally clay lined and there are pieces of the liner when I look into the gaping hole. The chimney is going to be taken down soon.

My husband wants to keep the mantle if possible. I'm indifferent as I just want a secondary heat source. Pictures are included. I haven't ventured up to the roof to take photos but will soon. .

1) Would it be possible to connect the old firebox to a stovepipe? Or would we have to rebuild the masonry chimney?

Any input would be appreciated.
View attachment 329013View attachment 329014View attachment 329015View attachment 329016
You are going to need to rebuild atleast some masonry structure to house the firebox that the insert is inside of.