Chimney’s? Bholler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TWilk117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 20, 2018
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
A couple of questions, not just for Bholler, but I would appreciate his opinions of coarse.

I’m wondering if I have a masonry chimney with two 13x13 tile lined flues, is it possible or up to code to remove the crown and tiles and make a new crown for three insulated liners? Two 6”s and a 4”?

Also. I was talking to this one fireplace and chimney guy that does installations. I was thinking of maybe getting rid of my boiler along with its liner, and using that flue for a wood furnace and new insulated liner.
He says that I would absolutely have to use pour down insulation???
That doesn’t make sense to me.

What are the 3 liners for out of curiosity? Yes you could do as you proposed and remove the clay or you could just run a 6 and a 4 through one of the 12x12s. And no there is no reason you would need to use pour in.

Thank you very much. I didn’t think pour in was necessary.
I was thinking it would be cool if I had 3 flus in the chimney so I could have the boiler still in the basement along with the 28-4000 wood furnace, and my little parlor stove in the parlor. 6” 6” and 4”.

Thanks again

Thank you very much. I didn’t think pour in was necessary.
I was thinking it would be cool if I had 3 flus in the chimney so I could have the boiler still in the basement along with the 28-4000 wood furnace, and my little parlor stove in the parlor. 6” 6” and 4”.

Thanks again
Then yes just run a 6 and a 4 through one and a 6 through the other. There is plenty of room.

And it could be up to code? So I assume a custom top plate and cap would need to be made? I guess Rockford could make one.

Have you done this before?
Yes there is no reason this would not be code compliant and yes I have run multiple liners through a clay liner before.

Any suggestions for how to terminate the exhaust atop the chimney?
I just make my own top plates in that case. But breaking out the top clay liners would probably give you room to have them inline.