Cherry pits - any experience?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

batchman

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2013
Backwoods MA
Howdy,

When I bought my multi-fuel Maxx M I knew corn was out due to my outside storage. But Cherry Pits seem like they should be possible - problem is they seem hard to find closer than Michigan.

While shopping for this years' pellets I found one store listing them in a driveable range for me, Frederickson Farm in North Scituate Rhode Island. I called them knowing they'd be out for the season, but sounds like they come bagged and stacked just like wood pellets, and this year they were priced around $300/ton. They sounded unsure if they'd be carrying them next year, they haven't been very popular. He suggested calling late summer to see. Maybe if enough of us call them around then, they'll get enough to matter...

Anyway, I'm posting this so I have a chance at finding them next August or so ;), and to see if anyone has experience burning them? I sure would like to land 6 bags of them, to see how they do...

Cheers,
- Jeff

Are the cherry pits putting out a lot of heat and what about the ash? Please let us know. I'm interested in trying them out, if you think its worth it. Thanks

That's pretty much what I'm hoping to find out, too - since my stove is multi-fuel capable...

Local TSC had cherry pits a couple years ago. I bought 1 50# bag and mixed them in 50/50 with some hardwood pellets. I thought the stove was going to melt down like Chernobyl, they were so hot! I believe it also corroded the exhaust a bit but oh well. They are like adding rocket fuel!

That’s interesting to know. My local family farm has them but I’ve never seen the pile move. My Lenox pi40 is multi fuel but I’ve never used anything outside of wood.