Cheap Moisture Meter & Help Locating "Seasoned" Firewood Seller?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harbor freight unit works ok on $29.95 there are others, seen a few at the box stores but do not remember prices.

I have a general from lowes for $30 bucks that I like....
Since you said cheap, I was In Costco this morning, for $39 they had a infrared thermometer and a moisture meter combo....

I'm looking to buy a moisture meter, any tips?

Also, if anyone knows of a seller with TRUE seasoned wood in PA, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jeff

Best tip I can give Jeff is to get 3 years ahead on your firewood and then you can forget the MM. In over 50 years I have yet to find a need for one but I can understand your situation. ;)

I really have a moisture meter for only one reason... Red Oak.!!! 3 years is not always enough for it to season to under 24%.
Great when it does finally dry out.

Home depot has one $40 or so, but it sits flat on the wood. I don't trust something like that that can have air mixed in with the reading. Lowes has a general for $30 2 prongs +/- 3% easy to use and has a 9v bat not some of those tarded bats that you cant find.

Best tip I can give Jeff is to get 3 years ahead on your firewood and then you can forget the MM. In over 50 years I have yet to find a need for one but I can understand your situation. ;)
Dennis is just being grumpy....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage

Also, if anyone knows of a seller with TRUE seasoned wood in PA, please let me know!

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello Jeff. I don't know much about moisture meters but was just curious. My wife is from PA - the Johnstown area. Where in PA are you?

Most any moisture meter will work for firewood. Don't spend a bunch on one. As to the firewood sellers, they sell "seasoned" wood. That means it is wood. They can't afford to have it sitting around for two or three years and it burns fine in the fireplaces most of their customers have. They aren't evil. It just is what it is.

You don't want "seasoned" wood you want dry wood. That means you have to buy it a year or two ahead and do the drying yourself. Just a fact of life heating with wood.

Reactions: HDRock and jharkin
I dont use meters but I got my sister a General from Lowes. (she buys her wood)

Be nice to her. She will let you borrow it. ;lol

Unlike another old fart on the forum, I think they are a great tool.

I have bought firewood about 8 times now. I know of one guy who is over an hour drive away who does properly season his wood and it is $65 a face cord picked up. When I first got my stove this is the place the dealer recommended and I bought from him the first two years. His wood is by far the best I have ever purchased.

Now I buy my wood from local tree services off Craigslist and most of the time I have been screwed. Every time the wood is freshly cut and split so you know it isn't seasoned. I can deal with that since I am buying for years out now.

Also they typically just dump a pile and after stacking I am usually short. They always say they will drop more off, but never do. If I am not getting shorted then many of the splits are much too large for my stove so I end up having to split a bunch of it.

I have plenty of wood for the next couple of years, but I am still looking for a good person to buy firewood from that is close by. If anyone lives near Lansing, MI then I have a great supplier, but a little too far from me.

Thanks,
Jeff

I have these guys bookmarked. They might be near you, and can get you through the first year until you have your own seasoned wood. I hear a cord of their wood is not that expensive.

I have these guys bookmarked. They might be near you, and can get you through the first year until you have your own seasoned wood. I hear a cord of their wood is not that expensive.

Looks like quality stuff - i just emailed, and they already got back to me. I'll post prices after they respond again.
Thanks Chazcarr! (I'm an ex connectican? btw - born and raised in Woodstock, CT!)

Looks like quality stuff - i just emailed, and they already got back to me. I'll post prices after they respond again.
Thanks Chazcarr! (I'm an ex connectican? btw - born and raised in Woodstock, CT!)

I had family who once lived in Woodstock, CT -- Hustus. And my wife's family lives right down the road a piece in Stafford Springs and Ellington. It's a pretty area of CT.

I had family who once lived in Woodstock, CT -- Hustus. And my wife's family lives right down the road a piece in Stafford Springs and Ellington. It's a pretty area of CT.

I definitely like Staff Springs. Much better than near Waterbury like me. The air is nice and fresh.

Thanks Guys.
I'll stop by my local Harbor Frieght and pickup their tool!

As for firewood, my friend who sell's it is going to let me test his the wood with the meter then I can make my decision!

Make sure that when you test wood, you make a fresh split, then test on the freshly-split face with the prongs parallel to the grain. My Harbor Freight meter works just fine. They go on sale from time to time, and you can use a 20%-off coupon as well, if you can find one.

From everything I've heard around here, suppliers advertise, and post pictures of "seasoned" wood, but deliveries rarely arrive with under 25% moisture content.

They dont know for the most part, some honestly think they have good wood.

The one I have is from Harbor freight and it eats batteries one set per year. Link

Would I recommend using one ? Well that all depends on how detailed you are.

Does your stove have a catalytic combustor ? if yes and you do not have reliable wood than I would get one. Sure beats
destroying your cat.

3 years ahead works +++++

The one I have is from Harbor freight and it eats batteries one set per year. Link

Would I recommend using one ? Well that all depends on how detailed you are.

Does your stove have a catalytic combustor ? if yes and you do not have reliable wood than I would get one. Sure beats
destroying your cat.

3 years ahead works +++++
Mine was eating more batteries then one set a year, I now take them out when not using it and have not gone through a set since, bought some off of ebay way cheaper then in the stores around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.