Century CW2500 high temp limit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Second year into using the stove, naturally, as wood gets dryer and dryer, we are reaching higher stove temperature, last year was hovering 450-550 or so. 2 yrs old ashes and 4+ years oak and maple pushing the temperature up to 650-700. We freaked out once we hit 600 late last year, only to find out from some of you kind owner of the same model that this is a norm for this stove and it's humming along just fine. Next year, the stash will easily get sub-20% MC, with fully loaded stove, at what point (temperature) should I be concern overfiring it?

What size splits do you use? Your temps don’t sound too bad. Probably want to avoid going much higher though. I will defer to the pros though.

also, from the time frame you described, your wood would be 20 percent or below right now. I doubt you’d see those temps with wood much wetter than that unless you had primary air most the way open much of the time.

What size splits do you use? Your temps don’t sound too bad. Probably want to avoid going much higher though. I will defer to the pros though.

Sizes are mix, mostly 2" thick, some blocks are 3-4" thick about 16-20" long

between 550 - 650 is a normal cruising temp, many members have found as they get a head in supply the don't need to split as small of pieces, a normal split size is 4-6" a 2-3" split size works but has a lot more surface area so you tend to get run away fires once the wood get below <20% moisture content, unless you have a real heavy breathing stove, or one that has a t-stat air control.
Most members that run a manual air controller will watch there stove and get use to there wood and habit in which it burns, many through experience know when to start dialing the air back some to prevent a take off scenario, chances are since your asking the question way earlier, your already in tune with your stove, so you'll be fine, 800deg btw is when you need to start getting worried, if you have a run away with your air shut down as low as it will go, then just open the door all the way, the room air will cool the box down, it will sound loud, and watch for embers that may pop out.

Reactions: excessads
800deg btw is when you need to start getting worried, if you have a run away with your air shut down as low as it will go, then just open the door all the way, the room air will cool the box down, it will sound loud, and watch for embers that may pop out.

I finished splitting last year, think we are two years ahead, some of them are finer than I want, next round I won't go smaller than 4" in diameter.
As for the manual air control, I tend to turn it way down once it gets going fairly well, like 3-400F or so. Thanks for the advices!

Last edited: