Central Boiler Classic Edge 350 piping sizing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

sony224422

Nov 18, 2023
Ct
I have gained access to a functioning CB edge 350 and i am doing as much research as i can before i commit to anything. I know the furnace is in good working order with no leaks, and holds roughly 200 gallons of water. I see it has a max BTU of 178k. I see a lot of back and forth on what size thermopex to use- 1 inch or 1.25 inch and that is determined by the pump size and btu load.

I haven't decided how far i'd be with putting the boiler somewhere, but doing some measurements i know i will be no farther than 125 feet to the house. from the house inside, it would be about 10 feet to the DWH plate (20 plate 40k btu) and then another 25 feet to the WTAHX (160k btu) for the forced hot air. I know that i am not going to be using or hitting the 200k btu load, as i do not believe the furnace can produce the 160k anyways, its an oil fired 104k model. I am heating a 1700 sq ft house build in the 1940's with poor insulation (for now) in half the house. I burn roughly 600-700 gallons of oil a heating year.

I may want to in the future add radiant floor heating for the basement and first floor when/if i ever get the time, but it is not on my priority list at the moment.

Any suggestions on piping size into the house? My thoughts are go to 1.25 but i don't want to be oversized either if i don't need to be.

An additional thought- if i bring 1.25 into the house, everything else has 1 inch or smaller fittings on it, does that impact anything? I know for the radiant or any other zones i'd be using a zone valve and additional pumps, but the main loop would be the plate exchanger and the WTAHX.