Ceiling Clearance and how to finish?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vizzy92

Oct 22, 2022
North East USA
Hey all,
So, I recently purchased a home with an old wood burning stove in the basement that I had a fire in and the ceiling got way too hot. So I pulled down the drop ceiling and all the "brick" that had sheetrock behind it. Attached are some pictures with a rough idea of how far away the pipe is from the floor joists above. Please note that this single wall pipe is going to be changed to a double next week to help reduce my clearance. Do I have the proper clearance and if I do, how can I finish the ceiling?

Really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Viz

Ceiling Clearance and how to finish? Ceiling Clearance and how to finish? Ceiling Clearance and how to finish? Ceiling Clearance and how to finish?

It will be close depending on the brand of double-wall stovepipe. Some have a greater vertical clearance. DuraVent DVL is 8". Selkirk DSP and Excel UltraBlack are 6".

If you want to reduce dramatically reduce wood consumption, insulate the basement walls. Up to a third of the heat generated is getting sucked out of the cold cement walls. That's one cord out of three burned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vizzy92
It will be close depending on the brand of double-wall stovepipe. Some have a greater vertical clearance. DuraVent DVL is 8". Selkirk DSP and Excel UltraBlack are 6".

If you want to reduce dramatically reduce wood consumption, insulate the basement walls. Up to a third of the heat generated is getting sucked out of the cold cement walls. That's one cord out of three burned.
Ahh okay so hopefully the people doing it use the stuff that makes it a 6" clearance.

Also, I'm re-doing the basement, so that'll have some nice stone backing it along with finished drywall and what not :) Thanks!

Ahh okay so hopefully the people doing it use the stuff that makes it a 6" clearance.

Also, I'm re-doing the basement, so that'll have some nice stone backing it along with finished drywall and what not :) Thanks!
They did not that is just single wall pipe which needs 18"

It does look like they ran class a pipe through the wall though which is good

It's good that you noticed this and have double-wall on order. Ask them what brand pipe.