carpet drying fan for Fisher insert, DIY blower fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spoon059

Oct 24, 2008
DC Metro
So we got really cold temps a couple weeks ago and my stove was having a hard time keeping the entire house warm. The living room was nice and warm, but we struggled to get air into the back rooms. I have a small desk fan that blows cooler air along the floor from the back of the house, which is usually enough, but in the extreme cold it wasn't working.

I took a chance on a $50 Stanley blower fan https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O6FA22/?tag=hearthamazon-20 and aimed it at the bottom of my wood stove. IMMEDIATELY we could feel warm air blowing out across the top of the stove. Within 15 minutes temps had climbed about 6 degrees in the back of the house. Even better, temps dropped dramatically on the bottom of the mantel. Yes, this is not a permanent solution but its very easy to move when we need an extra blast of warm air. We've been using it to help even out temps while the fire burns overnight. Even if the fire goes out overnight, the back of the house will be within a couple degrees of the living room, as opposed to 15 degrees colder.

If you want a cheap solution for a DIY blower fan, this might be the perfect solution. Hope it helps someone. I'm amazed at how much more efficient and comfortable this fan makes my stove!

Reactions: Todd67
Glad you found a simple & inexpensive solution to get heat to those distant rooms. Thanks for sharing!