Carbon monoxide in the old days ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BB unless you live by a furniture store... ;-)

Robbie said:
Wrenchmonster, strange but true, my relatives homes were almost exactly like what you saw in the movie "Coal miners daughter". The smell of coal burning in the winter was a very common thing.

The houses were all very dark inside with maybe one light bulb hanging down from the ceiling in each room on an old wire and a pull chain.

How could you do proper maintence or stove/pipe cleaning and inspection ?

The walls were a mixture of magazines and news papers tacked up with scattered card board. Most times there were many layers of assorted things like linoleum flooring or "brick style" wall linoleum.

I've often wondered about this. I know the old stoves they used must have leaked smoke etc., wonder why we never got sick or anything ?

Is this the reason I am losing my hair ?........... %-P
actually , the old "pot belly" type stoves did leak , but leaked inward , they were so inefficient everything went up the flue. chimneys that were less than optimal were still able to pull these units even with leaky pipes. looser construction and non airtight stoves were probably the reason for lower potential cases. and of course as others have posted , deaths were probably attributed to "asphyxiation, or smoke inhalation , medicine may not have been as able back then to pin it down to CO.

Robbie

Another thing to keep in mind is that back then we didn't have a bunch of major media running around LOOKING for sensationalistic "If it bleeds, it leads" stories.

Do some basic statistics - Both MSNBC stories cited earlier were talking about numbers of fatalities that were less than 100. Sure that's more than should be, and it's tragic if you or a loved one strike it "unlucky" but last time I checked there were well over 250 MILLION people in the US. 100 in 250,000,000 = 4x10 to the -7th or 0.0000004% - not a huge level of risk!

Seems to me like there are a lot bigger things to worry about.

Gooserider

Dylan said:
Gooserider said:
.... last time I checked there were well over 250 MILLION people in the US.

Goose,

We hit three hundred million in November....you missed that story, OVER-hyped by that same media.

300M > 250M last time I checked... :p I mostly ignore the major media as IMHO they don't have alot that is intelligent to say. I know our government spends alot of time running around killing people, other gov'ts try to catch up with ours, a few individuals try to emulate gov'ts in general on a far smaller scale, which fact the governments use to try to disarm the populace in order to make them easier to kill.

I can't do much to change it, other than refusing to vote for them - for all the good it does.

Sometimes people get stupid and do themselves in, I can admire their creativity, but have far better ways to amuse myself.

Then there are the reports on what the various gangs of gladiators did to beat up on each other - I recognize bread and circuses for what they are, and ask why I should care?

Then they give us their guess as to what the weather will be like in the near future, with lots of pictures, covered with lines and arrows.... I can do just about as well by looking out the window (and again its not something I can change, so I have to deal with it whatever happens) so why should I waste my time on them....

Ignoring the media is a great way to remove stress from one's life.

Gooserider

Ignoring the media is a great way to remove stress from one’s life.

Goose right on with that staement. I refuse to watch the news before I go to bed. Its amzing how they sensationalize all the bad news. One possitive story shows up at the end of the newscast.
I find myself glued to that crazy m'fer Grizly bear ex special forces dude on Discover Channel. Man vs Nature I think.

I do better - I don't watch TV at all if I can avoid it. I consider it to be a dangerous addictive drug, and think that it should be treated as such. I don't do heroin, I don't do TV, for about the same reason in both cases.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I do better - I don't watch TV at all if I can avoid it. I consider it to be a dangerous addictive drug, and think that it should be treated as such. I don't do heroin, I don't do TV, for about the same reason in both cases.

Gooserider
Yeah but you're hooked on hearth now aren't ya? ;-P

GVA said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider
Yeah but you're hooked on hearth now aren't ya? ;-P

To some extent, but I can and have walked away from forums before if I find other demands on my time require it. Sometimes I return eventually, other times I don't. I've been getting enough educational benefit from here to justify it, at least for now.

The net I don't consider as dangerous because it requires that you think and interact, not just be a couch vegetable numbly accepting whatever kind of crap somebody else wants to pour into you.

Gooserider

I stopped watching the news and mainstream formulated media several years ago too. News is just repackaged PR and ambulance chasing. There's very little real reporting going on these days. During Katrina there were some exceptions, but that is rare. But I do enjoy the Daily Show occasionally and Dirty Jobs makes me laugh too.

Clearly this is Off topic from CO, but.... I whole heartedly agree with Goose. TV is EVIL. It's a time sucker and total waste of energy. The only time I sit in front of it now is to watch a movie. Gave up TV, and don't miss it at all. Get my news from NPR and over the internet now.

-Kevin

Sure, the media surely can be accused of sensationalism. But if I learned about a car that exploded upon rear impact from the media I think that's valuable information. I would want to know why such a thing could happen and consider it personally to determine if my own automobile might be at risk. Same with CO. The knowledge and constant reminder (from sensational media reports) is still valuable. It reminds me that CO is dangerous and gives me pause.

Who says that TV is mind numbing? Where is it proven that one's mind shuts off when in front of a TV, or movie screen, or a magazine, or a book, or the internet? We all do what we want with the information in front of us. If we think it's bull**it, fine. But it doesn't hurt to know what other poeple are saying, or believing, or doing. We don't have to agree or turn our mind off. I was raised in a religion that said ALL information not coming directly from the mother ship was evil. That included TV, radio, records, magazines and definitely the internet, which they simply cannot control.

I say, to each their own. Personally, I gave up the idea of no TV, or "don't read this, it will twist your mind" kind of thinking several years ago. There is always more than one way to find fulfillment. I am happy that some here find it fulfilling to avoid TV, or the "media" or whatever. But I resent the implication that my mind is numbed it I tune in. I have heard some put NPR or even Sesame Street into the "evil" bucket. None of that type of talk impresses me as particularly elevating.

Sorry. Hit a nerve. I know it's just banter. I'm better now. Calm down Sean . . .

Dylan said:
And your link immediately brings you to "Faulty Furnace". No argument about the danger of CO posioning when a FORCED draft is involved. FAR, FAR, FAR less risk when the only draft involved is INDUCED.

Dylan, I'm confused. Isn't "induced" draft also a forced draft? Or do you mean naturally induced, or what we commonly call natural draft?

To me, CO poisening is most likely when draft is in some way stopped from doing it's intended job of taking the poisenous gasses out of the building. That could mean a blockage, a failed motor (in the case of a power vent), or a condition in the building causing negative draft in the building that is stronger than the negative draft in the flue servicing the appliance, usually called "stack affect" or house depressurization.

Robbie said:
Chirag martinez, yes, thank goodness.

I did a search on google earlier trying to find some history etc, on this subject but can't seem to hit the right key words.

I bet there are lots of stories but would be hard to find.

Robbie

Who is Chirag Martinez? What did I miss? I checked and re-checked this thread and could not see anything from Mr. Martinez at all except these referrences to his input. Anybody else notice this? Was his entry removed? I followed the count on the right side of the headers but it seems to be in proper sequence. What gives?

seaken said:
Robbie said:
Chirag martinez, yes, thank goodness.

I did a search on google earlier trying to find some history etc, on this subject but can't seem to hit the right key words.

I bet there are lots of stories but would be hard to find.

Robbie

Who is Chirag Martinez? What did I miss? I checked and re-checked this thread and could not see anything from Mr. Martinez at all except these referrences to his input. Anybody else notice this? Was his entry removed? I followed the count on the right side of the headers but it seems to be in proper sequence. What gives?

He was a troll that first signed up as Winston Smith (a character from the novel 1984) and then Martinez and a couple of others. Posted distruptive stuff trying to incite. Craig wiped them out.

seaken said:
Sure, the media surely can be accused of sensationalism. But if I learned about a car that exploded upon rear impact from the media I think that's valuable information. I would want to know why such a thing could happen and consider it personally to determine if my own automobile might be at risk. Same with CO. The knowledge and constant reminder (from sensational media reports) is still valuable. It reminds me that CO is dangerous and gives me pause.

Who says that TV is mind numbing? Where is it proven that one's mind shuts off when in front of a TV, or movie screen, or a magazine, or a book, or the internet? We all do what we want with the information in front of us. If we think it's bull**it, fine. But it doesn't hurt to know what other poeple are saying, or believing, or doing. We don't have to agree or turn our mind off. I was raised in a religion that said ALL information not coming directly from the mother ship was evil. That included TV, radio, records, magazines and definitely the internet, which they simply cannot control.

I say, to each their own. Personally, I gave up the idea of no TV, or "don't read this, it will twist your mind" kind of thinking several years ago. There is always more than one way to find fulfillment. I am happy that some here find it fulfilling to avoid TV, or the "media" or whatever. But I resent the implication that my mind is numbed it I tune in. I have heard some put NPR or even Sesame Street into the "evil" bucket. None of that type of talk impresses me as particularly elevating.

Sorry. Hit a nerve. I know it's just banter. I'm better now. Calm down Sean . . .

Surely one has to learn to discern the forest from the trees. This is true for all things in life. I cannot speak for others, but when I said TV is evil, I mainly meant it in terms of the time devoted to watching. There are things on TV that I did enjoy watching... Discovery, TLC, History, PBS, and a few others. The computer is becoming almost as bad as the TV was for me years ago. To the point where I feel it may be as much of a waste of time.

Addiction is a bad idea in general. I have a relative who is addicted to exercise. Is that a healthy addiction? Possibly, certainly better than others. But when you spend 12 hours a day exercising or thinking about exercising... somewhere along the line it becomes an obsession and deleterious to other, more important pursuits in life.

In any case, TV has been shown to promote less brain activity than reading, video games or web surfing. I believe this has to do with the later being either more interactive or in the case of reading, inspiring imagination. TV is rather spoon-feeding if you think about it. Can it twist your mind? Sure it can. But you are right, other types of media can twist your mind. It does indeed depend on the type of things you seek out. Can you watch TV and still be intelligent enough to sift the bs from the truth? Sure you can. But remember that some, I would argue most, people do not verify stories, or seek other information beyond what they see on TV. Hence, they end up believing anything that comes across the screen.

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
Surely one has to learn to discern the forest from the trees. This is true for all things in life. I cannot speak for others, but when I said TV is evil, I mainly meant it in terms of the time devoted to watching. There are things on TV that I did enjoy watching... Discovery, TLC, History, PBS, and a few others. The computer is becoming almost as bad as the TV was for me years ago. To the point where I feel it may be as much of a waste of time.

Addiction is a bad idea in general. I have a relative who is addicted to exercise. Is that a healthy addiction? Possibly, certainly better than others. But when you spend 12 hours a day exercising or thinking about exercising... somewhere along the line it becomes an obsession and deleterious to other, more important pursuits in life.

In any case, TV has been shown to promote less brain activity than reading, video games or web surfing. I believe this has to do with the later being either more interactive or in the case of reading, inspiring imagination. TV is rather spoon-feeding if you think about it. Can it twist your mind? Sure it can. But you are right, other types of media can twist your mind. It does indeed depend on the type of things you seek out. Can you watch TV and still be intelligent enough to sift the bs from the truth? Sure you can. But remember that some, I would argue most, people do not verify stories, or seek other information beyond what they see on TV. Hence, they end up believing anything that comes across the screen.

-Kevin

Kevin, I knew what you meant. I wasn't really trying to pick a fight. I figure the word "evil" can be used several different ways. But I knew what you, and the others who share your view on TV, meant. But it did hit a nerve because I have for so long listened to the self-appointed teachers who used the word evil to cast a dark shadow over such simple things as watching TV or reading a book. They (the teachers) stifle the mind. It is not the media that numbs the mind but one's beliefs. I agree, many do not question and think and end up accepting what they see or hear or read as pure truth. I would add that such a phenomenon is not unique to TV or TV media broad casts, aluded studies notwithstanding. The same can be said about radio broad casts, preachers pulpits, politicians podiums, teachers lectures, etc. Perhaps the answer is to restrict your viewing of TV or weblogs only AFTER you have been taught to think for yourself. Hmm, that's probably why so many parents restrict the TV and internet.

Fair enough Seaken. You seemed pretty hot about what was said, so I thought I'd elaborate a little. Sounds like we're on the same page, just that we've made different choices concerning watching TV. It's obvious you are intelligent enough to discern truth from fiction. If TV works for you that's great, I just ended up being a couch potato for too long.

-Kevin

wrenchmonster said:
Fair enough Seaken. You seemed pretty hot about what was said, so I thought I'd elaborate a little. Sounds like we're on the same page, just that we've made different choices concerning watching TV. It's obvious you are intelligent enough to discern truth from fiction. If TV works for you that's great, I just ended up being a couch potato for too long.

-Kevin

I'm sorry this thread got hi-jacked.

Kevin, you and I agree on this subject more than you know. I only object to the idea that there is something evil about the media, regardless of whether it's TV or not. Sure, personally. But I can't bring myself to sugest that my choices are better than someone who choses some other source for their news or information. And I prickle when I see that suggestion made, whether it was intentional or not. All this to say that I don't think it's right to suggest that "the media" should not be considered, or as it was stated here, something to the effect that life is better without the media or TV.

seaken said:
All this to say that I don't think it's right to suggest that "the media" should not be considered, or as it was stated here, something to the effect that life is better without the media or TV.

That would be the "head in the sand" approach to life. Very dangerous.

As dangerous as CO!! (trying to stay on topic, lol)

-Kevin

Considering t.v. going to the gym or the internet, my grandpa used to say a man is a slave to whatever has masterd him, moderation in all things.

I remember reading something or mabe even seeing it on that evil round thing in the center of my living room. It was a long term study on folks who had been gassed enough to require detoxification if I remember right. They gave a figure of something in the line of 40% + fatalities due to heart failure before age 50 ish. I don't remember all the details but the numbers were darned clear. Get gassed bad and you are at definite risk of serious heart problems.

I took my wife and grandson out today and come back and see there has been a rather confusing day took place here on our CO thread.............now it might be the twilight zone thread....... :lol:

Hey.........as long as we all are happy and safe and are having fun with this stuff, then we are ok.

Lets all have a group hug now.... :)

Best to you and yours.............sincerely.

Robbie.

Relative to the CO part of this thread anyway.....

I'm surprised no one has mentioned (at least I didn't see it) the CO pumped into homes of the past as part of their cooking "natural gas". Remember people committing suicide by sticking their heads in the oven?

"Natural gas" for cooking used to be made by passing superheated steam over coal to yield CO.

Status
Not open for further replies.