Can I use an insert as a freestanding unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.B.

Hearth Supporter
Oct 1, 2010
MO
I'm moving and will be turning my current home into a rental. For obvious reasons, I'm pulling my englander insert out and sealing off the old fireplace. I'd like to transplant the insert into my garage and use it in place of the old englander 24a that's seen better days. Any reason why I can't or shouldn't do this?

The only reason would be is the stove isn't EPA certified for that application. If you don't care about that and your insurance is OK with it your fine. An insert will project heat more toward the front of the stove as they are double walled. The stove I have, Kuma has had it certified for all three certifications so it can be used in just about every application, insert, alcove, or freestanding. So I think the insert should be fine to be used in your garage as far as being safe. This is just what I've learned along the way and if I'm wrong please someone chime in and give me insight.

Physically can you do this? possibly. Legally, insurance-wise or mfg. approved? No, not with this stove. There is no testing done for this condition and stoves are not normally approved for garage use.

Reactions: madison
I say garage, but really we're talking a 1500sf detached shop that we also park our cars in. There is an old englander 24a installed there now and after giving it a good inspection a few days ago, I think this will be it's last season. I'm not worried about clearances as the floor is concrete slab and I already have almost 3 feet to the back wall (which I will be covering with durock and tile or stone this summer) and 15+ feet on either side. The county I live in has no building codes and I'm not worried about insurance (they cheap out on detached buildings anyway.)

I plan on pouring a reinforced concrete pedestal to get it up off the ground 8-10". I understand that they aren't rated for freestanding use, but I can't imagine that putting this unit out in the open with plenty of clearance would make it dangerous. But, I've only been a wood burner for a few years so I defer to you guys. My dogs will live in this building while I'm at work and I just want to make sure they're safe.

I say garage, but really we're talking a 1500sf detached shop that we also park our cars in. There is an old englander 24a installed there now and after giving it a good inspection a few days ago, I think this will be it's last season. I'm not worried about clearances as the floor is concrete slab and I already have almost 3 feet to the back wall (which I will be covering with durock and tile or stone this summer) and 15+ feet on either side. The county I live in has no building codes and I'm not worried about insurance (they cheap out on detached buildings anyway.)

I plan on pouring a reinforced concrete pedestal to get it up off the ground 8-10". I understand that they aren't rated for freestanding use, but I can't imagine that putting this unit out in the open with plenty of clearance would make it dangerous. But, I've only been a wood burner for a few years so I defer to you guys. My dogs will live in this building while I'm at work and I just want to make sure they're safe.

Reread Begreen's comment.

Couple additional comments:
1. Just because there is an existing stove in the "detached shop" ("we also park our cars" == That would be a garage in my book.) doesn't mean that it is safe, up to code, or your insurance will cover your loss if it were to burn down.
2. I would be concerned with auto's and gas in the area of a wood stove. Fuel lines in auto's can leak.

Not to bum you out, but I would check with insurance and local building codes first.

Most of the inserts I have seen are steel wood stoves with extra heat shields. I can't see an issue other than insurance and gas fumes/leaks from the cars. I'd be pretty sure it would not pass inspection just based on the mfg's specs but that does not necessarily mean that it's not safe.

Just wondering if you might be better off finding a good used stove on CL and sell the insert and you should be about even. The insert may not be the best way to heat the area you have compared to a stove.

I'm using an old insert in my garage/shop. Providing you meet all clearance to combustible issues I don't see the problem. Inserts are not really any different than free standing stoves except than they generally lack legs or pedestals to sit on. They still have rear and side clearance specs just like free standing stoves.
The insurance thing is another issue. What is necessary with that is to get the OK on the install from your insurance company,, in writing! To simply remove one stove and replace it with another would violate my insurance policy. Every hearth, stove, chimney install here has to be W.E.T.T. certified, and my insurance company has a policy of physically coming out and taking pictures of the install, then if you have a fire they have a photographic record of what, and how, it was installed so they can check after a fire and see if anything had been changed. A different stove would be an obvious sign that something had been changed, and it would be all the insurance company needs to deny my (your?) claim.

This is the old insert stove I installed in my garage.
(broken image removed)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.