Can I put a wood stove here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard Pryor

Mar 6, 2017
Oregon

That's on the first floor and I was thinking going up a few feet then back to the garage and then straight up through what shows as a pantry in the following picture but will actually be part of a walk in closet.

Is that code?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen thimbles and cleanout t's interior of the house, in pictures that is. Dont know about any codes though. Looks like the cleanout would set in the garage?

Yes, this can be done with the proper thimble and clearances. The chimney would be chased at the back of the closet.

Is the house built? You could move the crapper forward for more room if still in planning.

There's room in the pantry closet for a chased pipe and still have a maybe 30" deep pantry closet. 6" r double-wall chimney pipe needs at least 12" clear (8" OD + 2" all around).It will need a firestop between the floors.

House will start framing in 2 weeks.

I've done the math and I think if I do what is shown below, the chimney/exhaust can go inside that triangle shown in the hallway.

As long as it has the minimum 2".

That's a bit odd and not necessary. It also doesn't align properly if the stove is in the bonus room where shown. That is a load bearing wall and that triangle falls adjacent to the closet marked LIEN on the plan.

Only question is why? You are impacting two rooms and making a wonky hallway when just having a smaller pantry and maybe moving the crapper forward would work just fine.

You are eliminating the pantry, moving the crapper, adding onto an already large walk-in closet, losing laundry space and creating a wonky hallway all for no reason.​

maybe moving the crapper forward would work just fine.
With a close clearance stove or one placed in the corner, I see no need to move the toilet. It is nice to have it behind a wall for more privacy.

Can I put a wood stove here? Can I put a wood stove here?

Last edited:
Thanks for your insight.

@Ludlow the reason I'm thinking about those changes is because I feel the kitchen is not big enough and I'd like to add 2ft on the vertical end. Those 2 ft in turn would need to be taken from the laundry room. I feel a 10 x 6 laundry room is very big considering washer and dryer are 30" each.

As to the pantry, it would be replaced in the corner of the kitchen where vertical meets horizontal, something like this:

Regarding the walk-in closet, we felt like 7ft long by 6ft wide was a little on the small side considering the bedroom is 14x13. Perhaps you can convince my wife that it's big enough? lol

@begreen looks like your math is better than mine. That looks like a great place for the pipe!

@begreen looks like your math is better than mine. That looks like a great place for the pipe!
It has to be verified with actual scaled drawings, I'm just eyeballing it using the load bearing wall as a reference and assuming a reasonably close clearance stove.