Can I open up this fireplace for a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

YukonDoIt

Sep 17, 2024
Canada
Hello,

I’ve been looking around this forum trying to find some information and have been impressed with the quality of responses. Hopefully, someone has some insight for me as well.

I recently moved into a new house and I would like to put a wood stove in the downstairs fireplace. The opening is a bit small though so I was thinking of trying to widen it. My old home had a blaze king princess so I would love that to be an option again. If not other recommendations are welcomed. Perhaps an insert is the only option?

Anyway, in an ideal world my idea is to rip out the raised hearth and chip out the bottom of the fireplace to take it down to floor level. Current opening is 33” wide but tapers down to 29.5” at the back. Top of arch is 24.5”. From the bottom of the fireplace to floor level is another 20”. Current depth is 24”. Fireplace vintage is circa 1978ish.

Is this à realistic plan? Pretty sure the hearth is just concrete and presumably some rebar covered with tile?

Here are some photos. Also not sure what to make of the odd damper above fire box. I’ve only had wood stoves and never a fireplace before.

[Hearth.com] Can I open up this fireplace for a wood stove? [Hearth.com] Can I open up this fireplace for a wood stove? [Hearth.com] Can I open up this fireplace for a wood stove?

Hello,

I’ve been looking around this forum trying to find some information and have been impressed with the quality of responses. Hopefully, someone has some insight for me as well.

I recently moved into a new house and I would like to put a wood stove in the downstairs fireplace. The opening is a bit small though so I was thinking of trying to widen it. My old home had a blaze king princess so I would love that to be an option again. If not other recommendations are welcomed. Perhaps an insert is the only option?

Anyway, in an ideal world my idea is to rip out the raised hearth and chip out the bottom of the fireplace to take it down to floor level. Current opening is 33” wide but tapers down to 29.5” at the back. Top of arch is 24.5”. From the bottom of the fireplace to floor level is another 20”. Current depth is 24”. Fireplace vintage is circa 1978ish.

Is this à realistic plan? Pretty sure the hearth is just concrete and presumably some rebar covered with tile?

Here are some photos. Also not sure what to make of the odd damper above fire box. I’ve only had wood stoves and never a fireplace before.View attachment 329812View attachment 329813View attachment 329814
Why not just do a princess insert?

Reactions: GG Woody and BKVP
I would really consider the issue of structural integrity of your fireplace. An insert would be ideal.

BKVP

Reactions: GG Woody
Third vote for a Princess insert. The thermostat is in the wrong location for a freestander.

I think the problem with the insert is the arch at the top of the fireplace. After doing a quick check of the insert dimensions it seems the width and depth are fine but the archway will catch the corner of the insert. About 3.5” off

Does a blaze king princess insert put out as much heat as the freestanding?

In this location, a Princess insert might put out more heat due to its convective jacket design.

Is it hollow behind the arch corners with a straight lintel? If so, could the opening be squared up by cutting into the arch?

In this location, a Princess insert might put out more heat due to its convective jacket design.

Is it hollow behind the arch corners with a straight lintel? If so, could the opening be squared up by cutting into the arch?
Yes it is hollow behind the arch so that could definitely be an option. The shroud would cover up the arch anyway. Thanks