Bypass door dislocated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

jimlahey

Oct 1, 2024
northern canada
Hello

I have a King stove and significant issue where opening and closing the bypass lever is causing the bypass door to-be completely dislocated internally where the only solution is to remove the stove pipe (at the stove) and reconnect the bypass door internally.

I can see the bypass rod catches bypass door latch and pulls it out of from its seat. Once this happens the only fix is to manually re-seat the bypass door. I can try to apply some high-temperature grease to the bypass door rod, but it will eventually lose lubrication. Anyone have any fixes? This is a significant issue and only solution is to remove the stove pipe in order to re-seat the bypass door (very time consuming and not fun!)

Thanks

When the cat was last removed or replaced were the bypass retainers properly installed? Those are the little stainless steel clips on either side of the cat that keep the bypass in place.

When the cat was last removed or replaced were the bypass retainers properly installed? Those are the little stainless steel clips on either side of the cat that keep the bypass in place.
wondering what that would have to do with the bypass getting disconbooberated. Inquiring minds need to know

wondering what that would have to do with the bypass getting disconbooberated. Inquiring minds need to know
Those bypass plate retainers retain the bypass plate in its proper spot. Without them the whole plate can get fouled in the dome.

I guess I should have known that, bad blaze king owner, bad

They seem like pretty useless parts when you have to make sure they stay put while changing the cat but they have a purpose that most won't discover until you leave them out.

one of mine fell out during a cat change I assume, didn't know it till I removed some ash and it appeared in the shovel, I had to post as picture on hearth.com and was enlightened by some fine person