Business Card?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
Its going to be a quick one, but I want to have something with me.

Opinions?

Attachments

• Card.JPG
    Card.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 367
Running out of time, before you have to jump on the plane. I'd say that looks ok. Just my ignorance..... can you use the title mechanical engineer at this point?

Corie:
Best put, graduate (date) Mechanical Engineering. You are not quite an engineer yet in the technical sense. Can you get them with a red background or on red card stock? Makes it easy to find later on.

if you have time... what's it look like with your phone & address up below your name, and your speciaty down at the bottom? (after the wording UncleRich suggested)

Here pecker, I was using my card file to make you one and saved yers over mine LOL. Oh well time to redo.
I leave my address off on mine, due to the people I sometimes deal with, I don't give them my address.
Heres a couple I made for you, 1 with & 1 without address. Use them or not, either way ok by me, just putting my input in.

Attachments

• Corie card.jpg
    Corie card.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 317
  • Corie card no addy.jpg
    Corie card no addy.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 309
Heres my card :)

Attachments

• Neanderthal business card.jpg
    Neanderthal business card.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 318
I really like Hogs version on the left.

Any other input? Also hog, can you just spell "specializing" correct please :)

UncleRich,

What would the correct wording for a graduating mechanical engineer be? I don't know how to word it?

Corie Podschlene
Mechanical Engineer Graduate (May 2007)

????

Everyone knows Neanderthals cant spell, read one of Elks posts. J/K all in fun

nshif said:
Everyone knows Neanderthals cant spell, read one of Elks posts. J/K all in fun

Yeah what he said!!!!!!!

Corie, do you have printshop on your computer?

Attachments

• Corie card.jpg
    Corie card.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Corie card no addy.jpg
    Corie card no addy.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 295
Hogwildz said:

What you said. I think this is good. May want to add Villanova University, but not necessary. I agree with the suggestions since my last post.

Using hog's left card I looked over and also checked with a grammar nazi

Specializing is spelled wrong
align 'Specializing' and 'Solid' left
put a new line for Milford PA, 18337
do not put a period after 'PA'
lowercase 'I' for 'In'
no parenthesis or dashes for telephone number, use 610.506.7338
don't use your school email address, assuming it expires after graduation and doesn't look professional
use more of a plain font such as arial or times new roman
your title of 'mechanical enginner' is probably fine since you are so close to graduating

UncleRich said:
Hogwildz said:

What you said. I think this is good. May want to add Villanova University, but not necessary. I agree with the suggestions since my last post.

I think even a Neanderthal could figure out where you're getting your degree by looking at your email address.

churchie-sgc said:
Using hog's left card I looked over and also checked with a grammar nazi

Specializing is spelled wrong
align 'Specializing' and 'Solid' left
put a new line for Milford PA, 18337
do not put a period after 'PA'
lowercase 'I' for 'In'
no parenthesis or dashes for telephone number, use 610.506.7338
don't use your school email address, assuming it expires after graduation and doesn't look professional
use more of a plain font such as arial or times new roman
your title of 'mechanical enginner' is probably fine since you are so close to graduating

Bring that grammar Nazi over here to the cave, Neanderthal wants to have a conversation :)
I will say that the font is Arial. enginner's is not good, but engineers is ;)

Corie,
I'd stick with the "Graduate...." That way the reader will not dismiss you from consideration for a position other than an engineer. May need to start somewhere else to get some "real" industrial experience. Wouldn't you like to be a designer of stoves? A potential employer may want someone with the background, but a broader perspective. Just my way of thinking.

Realistically, you don't need a business card, you don't have a business, nor are you employed by one at this time (not a dig bro).
You DO need a RESUME, and your information will already be on there. Don't try so hard to impress, just be real, be honest & be yourself.
Let your discussions, interviews & resume do the impressing. Keep it simple bro, thats just my Neanderthal 2 cents.

Corie...
It looks nice and simple...but could use some "graphics" presentation. Perhaps "two crossed logs with a flame over it"???

A little creativity adds 'flair'...

Here's my (old) yellow pages ad (for electric)..."Flyer add" and BC for stump grinding:

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 225
  • ae stump 1200.bmp
    16.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Web STUMP 2.jpg
    Web STUMP 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 232
Hogwildz said:
Realistically, you don't need a business card, you don't have a business, nor are you employed by one at this time (not a dig bro).
You DO need a RESUME, and your information will already be on there. Don't try so hard to impress, just be real, be honest & be yourself.
Let your discussions, interviews & resume do the impressing. Keep it simple bro, thats just my Neanderthal 2 cents.

I agree, a business card is not necessary, but a resume is not always appropriate. A resume is a lot more expensive than a card. When you meet someone you can greet them and offer them a card. Help's them with a faulty memory, like mine (really bad at names). You may want to be contacted about a product or idea, it's a lot easier to hand them a card than fill out a slip of paper or give them a note of some sort.

I do some trade shows and retail shows. I always give a business card to a customer and note on the back what we talked about. It's surprising how many call backs I get. One job I am doing now came from someone who met me two years ago at a show.

Corie, you may meet someone you want to exchange information with, there is where the card makes you a little more professional than the average job seeker/college graduate. Don't over do it, though. Order only a minimum, usually 250. If you look like you are running out, go to a quick print store and see if they have overnight printing, like Kinkos. If you run out, you are really doing good work.

Hogwildz said:

This is good advice.

Hogwildz said:

I think you're right for the most part, Hogz. I think this is a little bit different, being a trade show, and not a recruiting function. I think a simple card (yeah - not really a "business card"). Corie is probably going to meet a lot of people who are not the ones doing the hiring. In these cases, I don't think it would be best to ask them to carry around the resume and get it back to the right people. Sometimes a simple card works best. Make a good impression (which I know he will), give the card, and hopefully that contact information will make its way back to the right people.

Sometimes you give them the card, or the resume, or sometimes both. - depends on the circumstances - it never hurts to have both handy.

and my last bit of advice to Corie.... don't over-do it for now on the card - keep it simple. If you have a decent printer, even the relatively cheap business card stock you can pick up at staples work pretty well. When I get someone's card at work, I really don't look for fancy graphics or an expensive glossy card. As long as it has the info on it to get ahold of the person - I'm good with that.

Corie - don't worry about all the differing advice here - you'll know what to do - be yourself - you'll do fine - and it sounds like you are going to have a pretty good group of pro's out there at the show who are in your corner too.

And be nice to the people at the Vogelzang booth. They could use a good engineer.

hahahaaha

I ordered cards tonight. Pick them up in the morning. My resumes came out excellent, so I only expect the same from these cards. I printed a small run because I want to improve on it drastically when I have the time.

BrotherBart said:
And be nice to the people at the Vogelzang booth. They could use a good engineer.

don't worry you are over qualified to work there currently they are only hiring fire fighters

while you are there get a directory map and find. PE Rebecca is the head of sales has a great phone voice and claims to be making the trip to Reno

Status
Not open for further replies.