Burning Sawdust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, there are commercial sawdust boilers out there. I have not worked on them but they have have forced draft fan and feed system that adds a steady stream of sawdust into the boiler. The air flow is matched to the fuel flow. I expect they use a gas pilot to light them off but once its burning I expect no need for pilot. The tough part with those are probably particulate carryover . I expect they would need a baghouse or an ESP to clean things up.

I also used to see references to sawdust burners used at sawmill to get rid of the stuff. They looked like a big Tipi (Teepee to some).

Stacked up sawdust can spontaneous combust so most sawmills have to dispose of sawdust somehow.

By the way, there are commercial sawdust boilers out there. I have not worked on them but they have have forced draft fan and feed system that adds a steady stream of sawdust into the boiler. The air flow is matched to the fuel flow. I expect they use a gas pilot to light them off but once its burning I expect no need for pilot. The tough part with those are probably particulate carryover . I expect they would need a baghouse or an ESP to clean things up.

I also used to see references to sawdust burners used at sawmill to get rid of the stuff. They looked like a big Tipi (Teepee to some).

Stacked up sawdust can spontaneous combust so most sawmills have to dispose of sawdust somehow.
Yeah as i said before there are units specially designed for burning sawdust. Some even blow it into the firebox similar to an oil burner.

Your even more wrong with what is listed above.. many stove owners here have EPA stoves.. the manufacturer suggested nothing but cord wood.. so its not my way.. its how they want it run. I get a certain amount of satisfaction knowing that with my stove and how i operate it that i am carbon neutral. My footprint on this earth is smaller, and unlike your neighbors.. mine dont have poor air quality to breathe because of what i am burning. You have been on this site for like a month.. you have added nothing positive to this community at all.. you post but actually have nothing worth while to contribute.. your the lonely kid on the Block that needs attention.. sad isnt it..

Tell me again how you don't let your emotions get involved in how you use your wood stove!

FAR better to perpetually describe the advantages of burning white oak versus red oak, and rubbish those who might dare to burn poplar or pine!

Status
Not open for further replies.