Burning Ash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If I had to be restricted to only burning one species of wood it would be ash . . . splits like a dream most of the time and is just an all around decent burning wood.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
If it isn't burning hot enough you do not have it dry enough. I have no problem reaching above 700 deg.F in my NC30 with just ash. Not that I want the stove running that hot, but if I do not keep an eye on it shortly after it gets going good it will zap right up there. got to play with air control to keep secondaries going but slow it down.

Reactions: NickW
If it isn't burning hot enough you do not have it dry enough. I have no problem reaching above 700 deg.F in my NC30 with just ash. Not that I want the stove running that hot, but if I do not keep an eye on it shortly after it gets going good it will zap right up there. got to play with air control to keep secondaries going but slow it down.
Agreed! When I was burning 15-18% ash I had to watch it close on startup - went over 700 a couple of times. Burning maple around 22-23% now, so it's not really a good comparison; but I barely hit 600 most of the time with it now... not that that's a bad thing with the weather starting to warm up a little. Only making an overnight fire most of the time now.

Speaking of ash trees has anyone seen this article yet?, it came across my google feed and it's in my neck of the woods

Old age got that one? That's an oddity. The damn bug has wiped them all out here. I have alot of saplings I can only hope some come back.

It has only one downside to me -- doesn't burn very hot; doesn't kindle very easily and doesn't make for interesting fires.

Upsides:
Plentiful
Good BTUs
Splits real easy
Seasons pretty fast
Not prone to rot or fungus in the stacks if split
Usually easy to have some in the living room -- lack of bugs, etc.

A great wood to have if you also have oak and hickory to make those fires hot and interesting.
The white ash I get around here is the opposite. It burns hot with lively flame...just doesn’t last quite as long.

Reactions: mcdougy
What does everyone think about how ash burns and heats? Thanks to the ash bore it’s readily available and free or very cheep. Just before I acquire a bunch and cut and split it all. Thanks
EAB hit our county over a year ago but I'm not seeing it here yet, I started taking down Ash last year and this spring with 21 face cord stacked.

I've always heard good things about burning Ash so I'm hoping it's true.

The last couple of years I have come into a lot of ash. Keep it off the ground and it will last. Very good firewood.

One of the nice things about ash that I've noticed is that if you stack them in log form for a year, when you go to process them for splitting, the bark generally falls right off with little effort, makes for nice clean splits and awesome springtime bark bon fires after a day of splitting.
A few years ago I was saying if I had one type of wood only to burn it would be maple, I'm now adjusting that and really like ash, it burns well, splits easy, stacks nice, and now with the bark falling off, the cleanliness of my stacks is awesome.
Also just thoughts here, do you think that this species got the name of Ash because that's all that was left of peoples fires way back when? I suppose people would cut wood for heat in the winter and since tools were limited it would take a lot of energy to cut, split stack not giving piles more then a summer to season, ash wood would burn very well compared to oak since seasoning time wasnt there.

Reactions: heavy hammer
(To David.Ervin) -I-O

I can always find an ash to cut down and split on my property or the neighbors. Anything from 3" diameter to 30". Everything about splitting well, burning well, etc is all correct for me too. Since I am cutting ash that grew in the woods, its all pretty straight with few crotches so its a breeze to process. Seems to withstand rot while standing so well that I am in no hurry to cut them down. Other than moisture from rain/ snow, they are dry when I cut them so very little seasoning needed.
Speaking on the bark, there is a fibrous layer underneath that bark that makes a great fire starter and the bark in general is a great kindling so I keep a good bit of it.
Last, my favorite thing about ash is the smell when it burns. I like the way different woods smell when they burn and ash is maybe my favorite.

I normally burn oak,locust...but this year I found a guy cleaning up dead ash trees on his farm for $30 a face cord...I called him up to verify the price ...asked him if he would cut it to length for me...sure no problem...I asked if i could bring my dump trailer and he just load it? Sure no problem...lol...Just brought the first load home and it is a excellent load of wood! I am liking this! I just have to hit a button when I get home and dump it! I told him i would keep bringing the trailer back till he ran out... :)