Burn times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the dead of winter, with my Jotul 550 insert in a full load of good hardwoods, I get probably 7 to 8 hours of usable heat. After that point, I’ve got some warm coals to reload on.
With my regency 2450 freestanding stove, I get probably another hour or so more maybe. Both stoves are 2.1 ft.³ I believe.
Seeing flames? Maybe a few hours and then it’s all coals for the next series of hours.

Reactions: Itslay90
In the dead of winter, with my Jotul 550 insert in a full load of good hardwoods, I get probably 7 to 8 hours of usable heat. After that point, I’ve got some warm coals to reload on.
With my regency 2450 freestanding stove, I get probably another hour or so more maybe. Both stoves are 2.1 ft.³ I believe.
Damn, that’s a good burn time, are you burning oak ?

Damn, that’s a good burn time, are you burning oak ?
I should specify I’m only seeing flames for a small portion of that 7-8 hrs.
At that 8 hour mark my stove top temp of about 200 degrees.
This would be with burning either oak, hickory, black birch, etc. I wouldn’t get those times with soft maple for instance.

Reactions: Itslay90
I should specify I’m only seeing flames for a small portion of that 7-8 hrs.
At that 8 hour mark my stove top temp of about 200 degrees.
This would be with burning either oak, hickory, black birch, etc. I wouldn’t get those times with soft maple for instance.
Okay, so at what temperature do you usually reload your stove ? I usually do mine at 300 or when the coals are down. Right now I’m burning soft maple. And thank you for telling me now. I thought you was getting flames that whole time.

I probably reload at around 300 as well. Unless it’s the morning when the stove gets closer to 200.
At the moment, I burning a small bit of river birch. Light stuff but it just to get the chill out of the air and for a little atmosphere tonight. In southern New England, burning the dense stuff start around early to mid December

Full load this time of year I can do consistent 12 hour burns with Aspen or a couple more hours with better hardwood. Usable heat is probably more like 8 hours but the coals hold on for quite a while longer and stove top temp is down to 200 or less. My log cabin is small and holds the heat well so I can get away with a single evening fire til the weather gets colder. Mid winter the burn times drop and I usually go to an 8 hour reload schedule 24/7.

4-8 in an Aspen C3 depending on draft, outside temps, wood, how full the load is. Can relight 12 hrs later.

I very rarely actually load my stove very full. I use 3 or 4 mediumish sized logs then turn it down once its going well. Heat lasts around 8 hours. Flames only about 45 minutes. Then just occasional busts of pretty lazy flames.

I very rarely actually load my stove very full. I use 3 or 4 mediumish sized logs then turn it down once its going well. Heat lasts around 8 hours. Flames only about 45 minutes. Then just occasional busts of pretty lazy flames.
What kinda wood are you burning ? I got 8 hours yesterday ?

I use ash that was split and stacked 3 years ago. I never run my stove above the lowest setting once its warmed up some. But im also on 20' of class A and 5' of double wall stove pipe. It will burn faster if I use the fan, but my area is small enough I only do that when its very cold out and only like an hour or 2 byt then the room is warm enough its not needed.

Overnight temps in the high 40s / low 50s here lately, with daytime in the mid-to-high 50s. Even turning the stove down to its lowest setting, I'm finding that two or three medium splits of alder every 8 to 12 hours is enough to keep the indoors in the low-to-mid 70s. Any more wood than that and it gets too warm.

15+ hours with nights into the 40s right now. Few more hours if if crank the air and let the coals burn out. That with stt over 300 and flue close to 400 even near the end.

The longest burn I've gotten was like 15 hours. It was an overnight burn with a mix of oak and hickory. The box was packed tight. Normally I dont fill the box completely during the day. I like to let the house cool some. with the box 3/4s full I'd say probably at least 8 hours

The longest burn I've gotten was like 15 hours. It was an overnight burn with a mix of oak and hickory. The box was packed tight. Normally I dont fill the box completely during the day. I like to let the house cool some. with the box 3/4s full I'd say probably at least 8 hours
So you usually stack the wood in your stove ?

So you usually stack the wood in your stove ?

Yes.. I split all of my own wood. For overnight I specifically split square and rectangle pieces so I can pack the box completely full for the most heat and longest burns.. my stove is only a medium size and the box is 2.3 cuft..

Reactions: 30WCF
I have been nervous to load the box before bed. Still getting used to the stove, only a week in. I like it so far. Big adjustment to automatic damper. I used the outside air kit as I live in a very tightly wrapped double wide modular.

I have been nervous to load the box before bed. Still getting used to the stove, only a week in. I like it so far. Big adjustment to automatic damper. I used the outside air kit as I live in a very tightly wrapped double wide modular.
Be patient, give yourself time to get comfortable. What stove is this?

Dont rush anything.. I judt did a rebuild to my stove this past fall. I did alot of burning during the day.. just to check and make sure I did a good job. You can do day burns and watch the stove to see how it reacts.. Load it up in the morning all the way and burn it to see how the stove cruises.. you can time the load to see how long it burns .. peak stove temperature.. stuff like that.. Then when it comes to overnight burns you'll know when to load the stove and when it should be reload

what stove are you running

I don't try to get long burn times. Big loads just get the house temperature to hot at night. I try to get the house 7-10 degrees warmer before lights out. Then let the deep bed of coals burn down. And set the heat to come on at 66. Most of the time we get thru most of the night. Of course it gets harder to do as it gets colder. The house has good insulation and windows.

This week we had a couple of nights at 0° F, my mid size Pacific Energy has a 2 cu. ft fire box which I like to load with large splits and/or rounds for extended burns, ( NOTE: I have never fully loaded it with smaller splits as many do ). I start loading on a strong bed of red coals at approx. 9:45 pm depending on the wood used I let it gently burn 25 - 30 minutes until fully engulfed in flames then shut the air intake fully, during the next 5 to 10 minutes the flames slowly die down until I have flames on the top only then normally go to bed . I really can not say how long the flames last but suspect it is probably 4-6 hours, however at 6:00 am there is a 5-6 bed of very large glowing coal chunks which continues to heat for several additional hours, This week I went 13 hours before reloading it on a good bed of red coals for start up. This stove burns from top down doing it the aforementioned way, I must mention that I have blocked the boost air outlet at the bottom of the door with a piece of left over 1/2'' or 5/8'' door gasket which helps promote the top down burn instead of a cigar burn.

Reactions: Todd
ASPEN C3 - purchased in the summer, installed a week ago
What do you mean by loading it up? Depending on how you split your wood, you may only be able to fit three splits in there. If you are splitting at 3”-4”, you can pile it in decently.

wow, I need to get this kind of burn time...right now I'm checking/ adding every 2-3 hrs 24/7