buck insert blower question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete c

Hearth Supporter
Dec 17, 2010
ellington, ct
I bought this stove at a yard sale 7 or 8 years ago. As soon as I got it home, I plugged it in and discovered that the blower would not come on. It never occured to me that a cold stove blower should not come on, so I started fiddling around with it. Moved a few of the 4 wires on the thermostat around and viola, it's "fixed".

Anyway, the blower runs with the auto/manual switch in either position. When I get a really hot fire cranking, it will sometimes shutdown. I suspect I may have it wired bassakwards so that it shuts down when hot and runs when cold. It's functional enough when the stove is being run at a reasonable temp, but, it would be nice to have it shut down automatically when the fire burns out overnight.

I have discovered various schematics on the internet and attempted to get it right, to no avail.

I'm wondering if maybe I just have a bad T-stat.

Any troubnleshooting info would be greatly appreciated.

From what I have read, it is the newer style stove, meaning the T-stat is located just inside the airvent near the front of the stove. the manual/auto switch is located on the same side near the bottom of the stove.

One other question. Is there any way to quiet the rattle this thing makes? I have oiled the motor bushing and actually replaced the bearing at the other end which helped some, but, I think it's a matter on the fan being out of balance. Perhaps I should replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.