Buck 91

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mark N MO

Feb 22, 2016
SW MO
Just a few pics of our Buck 91 kickin it.

Four finely aged red oak splits, bypass closed, shotgun air control closed, primary air control set to "cruise mode", CAT temp ~1200°.
Buck 91

Whooooosh.......................................
Buck 91

I never get tired of seeing the light show. We're so happy with this stove, it's a real tank. Simple to operate, very reliable, heats like a mutha. Loaded the 4 splits about 7:30, the pics were taken at 8:15, reloaded around 5:00 PM with a CAT temp ~700°.
Buck 91

Looks great. Have you put up a review in the Stove Reviews section?

Four finely aged red oak splits, bypass closed, shotgun air control closed, primary air control set to "cruise mode", CAT temp ~1200°.
I never get tired of seeing the light show. We're so happy with this stove, it's a real tank. Simple to operate, very reliable, heats like a mutha. Loaded the 4 splits about 7:30, the pics were taken at 8:15, reloaded around 5:00 PM with a CAT temp ~700°.
Man, I miss running that stove! :( I cruised the same way as you, left shotgun (boost) air slider closed, right slider (airwash & box roof channel) open a touch.
I had it at my MIL's house, and it did a good job in tough conditions; Stove room was at one end of the house, in a solarium with glass on three walls,house had no wall insulation, chopped-up layout, and 9.5' ceilings. Yep, that thing is a flame-thrower! :ZZZ:eek: A super-low output burn may be more usable in some situations, mild climate or super-insulated house, but if you need real heat, get a stove that can deliver the goods. ==c
I only got over there to load every 12 hrs, so the cat probe might be down to 250 at that point, depending what kind of wood I had loaded. When it was cranking, cat temps would sometimes go high on me, like 1800. That particular stove, the plates on the right primary air slider didn't seal off the intake openings as well as they should have. I did a tweak, but I didn't want the plates to seal too tightly so that other operators could crash the cat burn by cutting the air too much. When my time with the stove was almost over, I think it was @coltfever, @davidmc or someone that mentioned that you could just remove the plates, pull out the slider rod and bow it up slightly to push the plates tighter to the air openings. I shoulda figured that out earlier..
The 91 is well-designed, and like you say, built like a tank. 1/4" plate-steel box, solid door latch mechanism, and that nice sliding bypass closure plate with no gasket to replace. The heat shield protects the cat well. One sweet rig! >>
They state the firebox size at 4.4 cu.ft. but they must have measured it with the cat heat shield and cast-iron cat housing removed. ;lol And you had to pick splits that were bigger at one end, in order to load the trapezoidal box full. I measured it at about 3 cu.ft usable space.
001.JPG

Last edited: