Buck 27000 cracks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

RMS

Oct 24, 2024
Pennsylvania
Hi everyone, new poster. I have been enjoying this Buck 27000 stove since we bought the house 6 years ago. When I went to clean it out to get it ready for the season I found 2 cracks extending from the damper cutout on the top.

I do have a mig welder and am confident I could weld these up, but I would guess that it's cast iron and I do not have any experience welding that. I know it takes some special procedures. You can see that it's been welded previously on one side and it cracked over top of that.

I only burn around 1.5 cords a season as we just use this when it is below freezing out to help keep the electric auxiliary heat off and would love to just be able to fix this and get through the winter but I am not going to take it out to transport it to get it welded. If that is the case I will just replace it.

I guess what I am asking is if this is cast iron as I assume and not weldable with my mig, and is there any other alternatives to trying to get this through the winter?

Thanks,
Ron
[Hearth.com] Buck 27000 cracks

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Buck 27000 cracks
    20241021_201807.webp
    429.9 KB · Views: 3
Hi everyone, new poster. I have been enjoying this Buck 27000 stove since we bought the house 6 years ago. When I went to clean it out to get it ready for the season I found 2 cracks extending from the damper cutout on the top.

I do have a mig welder and am confident I could weld these up, but I would guess that it's cast iron and I do not have any experience welding that. I know it takes some special procedures. You can see that it's been welded previously on one side and it cracked over top of that.

I only burn around 1.5 cords a season as we just use this when it is below freezing out to help keep the electric auxiliary heat off and would love to just be able to fix this and get through the winter but I am not going to take it out to transport it to get it welded. If that is the case I will just replace it.

I guess what I am asking is if this is cast iron as I assume and not weldable with my mig, and is there any other alternatives to trying to get this through the winter?

Thanks,
RonView attachment 331148View attachment 331149View attachment 331150
It's plate steel not cast iron

Reactions: Itslay90