Break in fire to cure furnace cement seal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Quick question. Last night we finished making the connection between the stove connector and unit. I then generously sealed with furnace cement. On the package, it states that furnace cement needs to be heated slowly first to cure. Should I have done a break in fire last night and or can I do one tonight? It hasn't fully dried.

Doing it tonight should be fine. In years past I was often ahead of the game in the pre season prep of my stoves and never experienced adverse effects from not having a fire to slowly cure cement the same day I applied it.

Jeep, thanks. Just thought that I had to do it ASAP for it to seal correctly. If not, when is the recommended time?

The Rutland furnace cement I use doesn't actually specify a time other than waiting at least an hour to set. I've done everything from an hour to about a month.

Yeah. The burn is to cook the water out of the cement. Anytime will be fine.

Agreed. We've done it anywhere from an hour to 2 days and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.