Boxer 24 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Adding a pellet stove might work too. With a hopper they have long reloading times.

I'd go mini-split before pellet. Pellet stoves are convenient, but much with higher maintenance and noise. And they don't provide AC and dehumidification in the summer.

Reactions: stoveliker
has anyone burned the boxer 24.any good might take a chance with a cat but a bit nervous if it fails to heat house
This past winter was my first winter heating with the Boxer 24. I will say up front the burn times are good. I think that BK should have cut some openings in the surround to let some of the trapped heat exit the stove. It doesnt provide much radiant heat like a normal stove does. In fact, my stove top temps generally run about 200 degrees, which isn't much when you're depending on radiant heat. The sidewall temps are lower yet. I can usually put my hand on the sidewalls when the stove it running. The hottest place of the top of the stove is dead center directly above the Cat, which is generally higher. But using a IR gun those high temps fade fast as you move away from the center. I do keep a magnetic thermometer on the top and a probe temp in the flu. To me, it's more of an elevated fireplace than a wood stove. A blower fan is needed almost always to push the heat from the stove. The boxer has a nice big window, but it's kind of a tease. As soon as you turn the stove down for a slow burn, the glass immediately starts to get black. I gave up on trying to keep it clean. I'm burning red oak that's been seasoned for at least 10 years so I know my wood is dry. Overall, it works but it's not a fast heating stove like stoves I've had in the past. My heating area is maybe 800 sq ft and very well insulated. It definitely works better when the temps are 20-30F, as opposed to zero. Also, I'm not a fan of the door hinge system. The door is big and heavy so it likes to sag.

Thanks for the update. If you get a chance, can you Add a quick review in the Ratings section?