Boxer 24 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i know ashful heats the same kind of house but he has a few i can only put one.whole point is to burn slow and long .i don't really know what kind of heat they throw off can i keep a stable temp with it.if not it's 6grand in the toilet

I don't understand the question. (Also, punctuation would help there..)

The "point is to burn low and slow" but you are unsure of how whether it throws off sufficient heat?

On low the boxer throws off the equivalent of about two 1.5 kW plug in heaters constantly.

Yes, BKs are exquisitely stable heat output burners.

Reactions: Highbeam
has anyone burned the boxer 24.any good might take a chance with a cat but a bit nervous if it fails to heat house

I would suggest the larger 30 series stoves or a princess.

ok,want to slow down on the feeding of the stove but i'm worried it might have to be burnt like a secondary to keep the place comfortable.6g's down the toilet.just read till your out of breath stoveliker than start again.some days i puctuate somedays annnh.

It appears to me the following is pertinent here.

A BK does not allow to "slow down on loading" AND at the same time provide as much heat as another modern stove.

If your secondary stove heats your house well, and you're burning it according to the specs, the BK won't provide the same heat while using less wood. This is because the efficiencies are more or less the same.

What the BK can do is provide a *lower* output in addition to the "normal" output range of BTU per hr. And in that low output range, it'll have long reloading times.

Finally, I tell my kids that if they want help, they should make it as easy as possible for the person that helps them. Otherwise help may not be forthcoming.
The same would apply here. Some days I might just be fed up with trying to figure out what you meant to say. YOU want help, YOU need to communicate to obtain that help. If your communication is incomprehensible, then it might just be too much for others to bother engaging.

Reactions: bholler
It really amazes me when people are asking for free help, and then are rude to the people that are giving them free help. I just don't get it.

Just read until your out of breath comes off as rude to me. My apologies if it wasn't meant to be but I doubt I'm the only one that interpreted that way.

so it,s good for someone in mild climate or well insulated home.
No. It's good for much more than that. Because it *can* burn "high". But at that point, you will just have the common 8-10 hr reload (for a BK 30.2 sized firebox; the Boxer will be a bit less).

Let me repeat.
The efficiencies are similar between a BK and e.g. a PE.
Therefore, the burn times for "normal" (as defined by secondary stoves) burning will be similar - after all you have a set amount of fuel in the box, and the stove lets you choose a rate (speed) with which to release the BTUs. That is not different for a BK and a PE if one runs at 35000 BTUs per hour.

What the BK can do is *also* (and not only) release those BTUs at a much lower BTUs per hour, equating to about 3.5 kW (for a BK 30 model). That is is less than 2.5 plug-in electric heaters of 1.5 kW.

This does not mean you *have to* run the BK that low. If you had to, then yes, it's only for mild climates or a home with a low need for heat. You can, it's an additional capability.
But you can also just run it full blast. We have a member (or two) in Alaska who do that.

You're living in a place much colder than here, and I don't know your temps or your insulation situation. All I can say is that in my home (1700 sq ft + 825 sqft insulated basement where the stove is, great windows, mediocre walls, excellent attic insulation), I can heat my home with the BK when it's 5 F and stormy outside. With oak I reached about 9-10 hrs burn time then. With pine it's 7-8.

So, if you need more than the low-end heat of a BK, that "less frequent reloading" advantage is not really there as compared to other modern (efficient) secondary burn stoves. On the other hand, if you don't have a cheap shoulder season heating system (e.g. heat pump), and want to heat with wood in your shoulder seasons, the BK makes that easy. Load it, walk away for 24 hrs, reload it. Because it can put out a constant level of low heat.
If you're just using nat gas or electric to heat in shoulder seasons, and you need a high BTU output in winter, the capabilities of the BK won't be of much help to you.

and i checked my post and i did punctuate sentence,in the right places who knows ;lol .so it,s good for someone in mild climate or well insulated home.
No, it’s a good stove for someone who has a heating need that falls within its output range. That can be a well insulated home in a warm climate or a poorly insulated home in the north. The BK technology excels when the stove is run at lower outputs which means it is smarter to oversize this stove and that’s probably not the boxer model.

Reactions: stoveliker
ive been called a lot worse then rude lol. i'm not ever offended shoulder shrugger lol.i was hoping to burn less and have a more constant heat .any companies want to beta test a cat lol.it might work out ,but like i said 6g's a bit much for a roll of the dice. :(

If the stove is being pushed hard, there will be little to no savings. Where the BK really shines is when low and slow heat output is sufficient to keep up with the heat loss of the house.

It would save on the number of reloadings.

But if currently you use other heating for the shoulder season (so as to not cook out of the home), then in fact your wood usage would go up if you start burning a BK in the shoulder season.

not worried about wood usage,my house always cold.end of sept,till well i could light a fire today no problem.just looking for longer times before reloading.

If your house is cold you need a stove with higher output (or insulate your home..) NOT one that can also do a lower output... (With the lower output runs the only times that reload frequency is lower.)

Get a bigger stove...

Your statement suggests you did not understand anything from what I explained...

If your house is cold you need a stove with higher output (or insulate your home..) NOT one that can also do a lower output... (With the lower output runs the only times that reload frequency is lower.)

Get a bigger stove...

Your statement suggests you did not understand anything from what I explained...
He has a large 3.6 cu ft stove. What is needed is better insulation. With the stone walls, a good portion of the heat is going to heating the outdoors.

Reactions: BKVP
He has a large 3.6 cu ft stove. What is needed is better insulation. With the stone walls, a good portion of the heat is going to heating the outdoors.
Okay. That's what I said; bigger stove or insulation.

If he has such a large stove and is cold, he has no business thinking about a Boxer (or a BK30). He'd be running them hard, still be cold, and having no advantage whatsoever.

At OP, one last remark: the firebox has a certain size. That can be filled with a maximum amount of BTUs. The stove determines how fast those get released into the home, and thus how soon you have to reload. It does that by providing a range of BTU outputs accessible with the air settings. Either a lot of BTUs per hour for only a few hours, or a little BTUs per hour for many hours.
Running a BK in "long reloading times" mode just means that you'll be getting a low amount of BTUs out every hour, and it does so for a long time.

That would not heat your home, and you'd be colder than with your current stove.

\thread can be closed ... _g

So now the situation is joop already has a 3.6 CF modern noncat stove and is cold and wants to reload less. A small BK is not going to help, and would in fact be a step back. I would suggest a bigger stove (bigger than 3.6), a big wood furnace, a move to pellets (Think P68), or move to a wood boiler. Or, supplement with traditional central heat. There's no need to be 100% wood heat.

stove i have does the job,was just wondering if i might get a bit of reloading relief.i understood what you said was hoping a steady output on a constant basis might stabilize temp in house.thread closed ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol ;lol :p

With Quebec's low electrical rates, I would invest in a high-efficiency mini-split system. They will do the work of the BK until it gets very cold, with no reloading. When it gets below -9ºC, load up the Roby to supplement.