'Bout to get reeeaaaaal cold, who's ready?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya. 5 degrees here with -10 chill factor and the cat ain't understanding why she can't go out and play. :rolleyes:

The Murph is asking the same question.

Waiting for my knight in shining red Dodge 1500 to show up and plow the driveway.

Lol...trying to burn mine down as we speak. I'm banking them up in the back and using short splits. Thank god for the massive firebox on this thing!

Ok I was going to post about this as well. I have a ton of coals and I am also putting small spilts on top to help burn down. Seems to raise the stove temp.

I hear ya. 5 degrees here with -10 chill factor and the cat ain't understanding why she can't go out and play. :rolleyes:

2 degrees here this morning and the cat demanded to be let out, 15 minutes later he still wasn't ready to come in. The allure of birds at the feeder was too much.
Cats are so dumb.

TE

Not the coldest night we've had, but without flogging the poor stove that lives in the basement, I'm pretty darn happy with this for an average temp upstairs. DSCN0120.jpg

pen do you have a ninja in your thermometer?!?

My dogs have 6" ground clearance. Needless to say, they were NOT happy this morning. On days like this, you need to stand defense when you open the back door, because they take one look outside and say, "no way I'm going out in that!" You need to be there to catch 'em and coax them out the door when they try to retreat between your legs back into the house.

Reactions: pen
My dogs have 6" ground clearance. Needless to say, they were NOT happy this morning. On days like this, you need to stand defense when you open the back door, because they take one look outside and say, "no way I'm going out in that!" You need to be there to catch 'em and coax them out the door when they try to retreat between your legs back into the house.
hahahaha. so true.

Wife took a pic of me yesterday, clearing a poop zone for our Toy Fox Terrier and Rat Terrier. The Toy Fox limps and whines if he gets the least bit of snow on his paws in these temps. And he really hates ice, can't even drag him across it. If he runs on it by mistake, his little feet keep going, but he stays in place, it's hilarious.
1620206_10151936772006234_854897237_n.jpg

wsi says next week is colder
Nearest I can tell I'm between 492 and 498 on that map. What does that mean? I haven't a clue how to read the map. Any simple instructions?
Bemt_DxCMAAdUsL.png:large

We'll leave it at we are very cold and likely to remain so. My Wheaten went out for one minute at 7 AM, after begging to go out for a while. Went back out about ten minutes later, again for one minute. At noon, he and I were out for about half an hour. Just back in, and he was sitting on the stair landing watching the woods. Huge excitement and hullabaloo (he obviously saw some animals, likely deer). Let him out, but by then the animals were out of sight. His normal modus operandi would be to chase after the direction they went, in order to herd them. However, he chose to establish a beautiful stance near the garden, raise his head as if to howl, and deliver a series of rapid barks, series spaces about ten seconds apart, for about five minutes (I guess to establish his territory) and then was at the door to come in, expecting the usual praise (and treat) for defending the home front.

This is a dog that in normal winter weather spends the entire day outside.

When a Wheaten is cold, it's time to consider staying near he hearth.

Last edited by a moderator:
got my 2-3 hours of sun and we are just short of 70*, high for the day 19* taunton ws office. add the fact it just makes you feel better, welcome back old buddy.

Weather dude just said that here it is twenty degrees colder than Anchorage, Alaska at the moment.

My hero showed up.SirWesley )

20140122_164138.jpg

The car is parked behind the truck. Tomorrow AM, move the truck to the plowed area near the front, and let the car pull itself out with FWD.

Ok I was going to post about this as well. I have a ton of coals and I am also putting small spilts on top to help burn down. Seems to raise the stove temp.

Pine can seriously be your friend in a situation like this.

LOL...My chocolate will romp outside in a manner resembling a bucking bronco until he has frozen dingleberries of ice hanging from his belly, icicles hanging from his jowls, etc...and he still doesn't want to come in.

Less than ideal wood but it's keeping the furnace from kicking on the the kids are happy. Chilly here in CT, 4 above and windy.

20140122_195157.jpg

Had the window by the toilet open yesterday for airflow while doing some renovation work...got cold...

20140121_180036.jpg

Last edited:
Went out to plow last night around 8:00. It was a balmy 14F with a moderate 5-10mph breeze when I left. Got home about 4:00 this morning. It was 1F with a howling, biting wind. !!! Do you know how good it felt to walk into a 75 degree, wood heated house? OK yeah, I guess you would know. :)

Reactions: woodgeek and Dix
Went out to plow last night around 8:00. It was a balmy 14F with a moderate 5-10mph breeze when I left. Got home about 4:00 this morning. It was 1F with a howling, biting wind. !!! Do you know how good it felt to walk into a 75 degree, wood heated house? OK yeah, I guess you would know. :)

Most of us have a clue ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.