Bought FPX36, looking for comparable stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espartaco

Dec 1, 2015
PDX
Wife and I bought a FPX36 fireplace in December. Hasn't been installed yet, the bump out is too close to the property line. Hoping to get a variance since we own the lot next to the house. We don't want to combine the lots because then it gets taxes with a dwelling. We may have to go the stove route if we can't get the variance. Can anyone point me to some similar capacity wood stoves? Have been looking at Regency and Jotul. Any proximate models I should check out?

Thanks
Scott

Can you minimize the "Bump-out" & partially (or completely) "Bump" IN?
That way you don't need to deal with the variance & you will have a warmer install...

Would installing a freestanding stove on a hearth on the interior is a possibility? If so, there are several options. A stove an hearth will intrude into the room space about 4ft, but the hearth can be made flush or near flush with the floor if the stove needs ember protection only. The stove itself will be ~26" deep + its rear clearance. In the case of the Jotul Oslo this would be 27 5/16" + 6" rear clearance + 16" hearth in front of the stove door.

My wife wanted to go with a ZC fireplace since she didn't want to lose interior space, we have talked about bringing it in a little into the house. My exterior walls are right at the boundary so unless I get a variance I can't have anything extending father out. The wife and I have been discussing going a freestanding stove route, in the corner under some windows.

I have been looking at the Oslo, what are some other comparable freestanding stoves? I think I have the wife convinced on the freestanding stove cause now she gets a new window where the ZC chase would have been.

I do like the idea of being able to use the top of the stove to cook with. I have a gas cook stove so can use that when power is out. Not super important to have the cook top, just send like a no brained having a wood stove.

Thanks for all the help, did some major searching of pages here when picking out the FPX, hope we can use it but, I am more partial to a wood stove

The Oslo is a nice heater but it's not ideal for a corner installation because it is a side loader. In a corner the side door is to be locked. There are many good large stoves that are front loaders with close corner clearances. Assuming you are looking for a classic styled stove, for a corner installation I would look at the Jotul F50 or F55, Enviro Boston 1700, Quadrafire Explorer III, Pacific Energy Alderlea T6, and Blaze King Ashford 30.1 (catalytic)

Looks like the wife and I will be going with a Look Cape Cod. After federal rebate it will cost us less than the FPX36. It is a beautiful stove, can't wait to get a hearth pad installed. I like that I only need ember protection in this unit

Status
Not open for further replies.