Bought a woodsplitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nateums

Dec 11, 2017
Southern Tier
Tractor supply has the 25 ton on sale right now. It is a beast. I did pride myself on splitting everything by hand, but I am going through a couple hundred year old Sugar maple with 18-24" LIMBS, the hardest gnarliest wood I've ever seen. The splitter is going right through everything. I was able to tow it home, and it pulled great.

Here are a couple of the splits, my maul and axe just bounce right off this stuff, and my elbows hurt just looking at it.

Bought a woodsplitter

As you may/may not have seen me post in the past....

If this is something that you plan on doing long term with any amount of volume, get the proper tools. A log splitter is only slightly under a good saw, in my opinion. And get one BEFORE you wreck yourself, not after.

ETA: And a “good saw” is one that starts/runs/works for your needs, not a reference to pro/homeowner, brand, etc.

I too used to pride myself on splitting everything by hand, until I was done with my first year of about 3+ cords and realized I'd never get a break if I wanted to keep up with what I needed/burned. Like you said, the splitter makes easy work of those nearly impossible gnarly pieces that otherwise would just cause headaches.

Reactions: Nateums
Good purchase. The splitter is a must I think, I used to split by hand but it’s too much time to split 5 cords or more per year by hand. I’ve got an older Troy built that has been a faithful companion for many years at this point. My “uglies” pile is much smaller than in the past as the crotches, etc that would exhaust a man/maul combo are easy work for a splitter.

Reactions: Nateums
I also like the ability of using the splitter to produce almost perfectly square pieces from the straighter grained stuff, great for building stable towers at either end of a stack

Yeah, there's no turning back now. I will easily be able to get a couple years ahead instead of just getting by, which in itself is a relief.

I do a lot of carpentry and masonry work as well, so I can really appreciate the ability of modern tools to help keep my body from getting too beat up.

I was just outside splitting for about an hour - I never would have done that by hand before starting a day. It just feels like I'm warmed up now.

Excellent - after a couple hours of use change the oil and check the hydro level. You do that you will have this splitter for many years, also use a fuel treatment, our gas is getting worse and worse with ethanol.

That's a nice pic of the wood split but a pic of the splitter would be better. What's TSC selling those for nowadays? Thinking of getting myself one.

Reactions: baseroom
That's a nice pic of the wood split but a pic of the splitter would be better. What's TSC selling those for nowadays? Thinking of getting myself one.
I was thinking the same lol. But yeah i would be lost without my splitter, after 8 hrs at work i ain't doing no splitting by hand

Last edited:
Looking at their website, they have a Champion 25 ton on sale for $899.99.
If I wasn't wasn't siding my house, I'd consider it.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk