Bought a Grandpa Bear Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe a TF-88?

I have the blue prints for the tf-88. You don’t want that one. The doors will be to big. I have some of the hard to make parts but. Na

I built some that were the width of a gma and depth of a papa. I did one grandpa. If you want a cut sheet let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Todd67
I saw a stove today on CL that appeared to have grandma doors with the depth of a Papa.

Pardon my "ignorance", but what is a cut sheet?

I saw a stove today on CL that appeared to have grandma doors with the depth of a Papa.

Pardon my "ignorance", but what is a cut sheet?

Parts you’ll need to make the stove. Where was the stove you saw on Craig list? I was the only one that made them. That I know of.

Reactions: Todd67
Parts you’ll need to make the stove. Where was the stove you saw on Craig list? I was the only one that made them. That I know of.

Philadelphia, PA. But the seller isn't selling the stove he has the picture of
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/fuo/d/kennett-square-fisher-wood-burning-stove/6783939369.html

00Q0Q_jrmnaybyrIx_1200x900.jpg

With my grandpa bear, I figure that a fabricator might've experimented with a one piece back/bottom/ash fender, for whatever reason. Maybe to save time, or save money on materials?

Lol. I made that one. The ash fender gives it away. SB with a squiggly line under the SB how I signed them.

That's cool! Are you going to contact the seller? It looks like a very large & heavy stove. I wonder why he has a pic of that stove, but it's not the stove he is selling. Some sellers...;lol

Did your shop put any letters or numbers on the stove like the PA stoves have?

It looks like he just painted that stove. Looks like a good "rare" stove for coaly's collection:)

That's cool! Whose idea was that design, and who was the intended "buyer"? It looks too big for an average size house.

Were they ever sold, or what happened with them after you made them?

Last edited:
Nice! We're they all rear vented?

That's some great information. I wonder why the seller is using your picture to sell a stove that he doesn't have a picture of...:confused:

Yep, that's your picture.

The Grandpa Bear is standing on it's own four legs now. After a thorough search for markings, I can't find a single stamped or welded marking anywhere on that stove. It looks like we'll never know where it was made.

My hunch is that it was possibly an experimental stove with a one piece back, bottom & ash fender.

Here is the bent rear (top half of the pic) & bottom
IMG_20190102_202235065.jpg

It doesn't have a baffle in it, but it has a long "shelf" under the vent
IMG_20190102_201425122.jpg

It's in real good shape now, not much rust because it's been in their house. I'll clean it up and paint it this summer, and hopefully then, I will find some markings. But I'm not counting on it.

With a good coating of WD-40 on the Stove yesterday, I managed to find a marking. It's an upside down B on the upper right rear plate (facing the rear of the stove). It looks like any other markings might be covered up by the rear leg.

Did any of the Canadian stoves have a one piece back/bottom/ash fender? None of the US states have a "B" in their two letter abreviation.

IMG_20190104_195638275.jpg