Block off plate, roxul, code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You can use cement board like Durock Nex-Gen

It's t there any clearance requirement behind the stove or distance between top of stove and the block off plate?

I should add that there is no damper in the liner so cold air will still come down there.

No, but it's nice to have good working room above the insert to connect the liner if possible.

It's t there any clearance requirement behind the stove or distance between top of stove and the block off plate?

I should add that there is no damper in the liner so cold air will still come down there.
There is never a damper in the liner (whell almost never) for an insert. But if you close the air inlets very little air will come in. And you could always start a fire.

I haven't heard of Finex fiber cement panel, but I suspect Durock would be less expensive.

Two 2'x3' metal sheets could be pop riveted together to work. I think there is an example of this in the links provided earlier. Regular silicone is fine for the perimeter sealing.