Blazeking Ashford 30 install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kevk

Mar 30, 2024
Georgia
Got a quote from a fireplace installer, this is for a new-construction installation; 18' tall ceiling.

1. He quoted me for single wall chimney pipe. Installer said single wall will provide more heat and is much cheaper, won't make any difference in performance. I've read conflicting info online, some say single is fine other's say go with double. Side note, I'm not buying my BK from him. I'm hiring him to do the chimney and connect it once it gets delivered.

2. Should I install a fresh-air intake kit? Installer said he's only seen them used in trailers.

Feedback appreciated. Thank you!

Get the double wall. You dont want to extract heat from the pipe (when burning low); the steps there already skirt the "too low" border.

The stove should give the heat and if it's efficient it won't put heat up the flue more than is needed to keep the draft going.

Outside air; if your home is tight, then yes, get it. If not tight, it's still more efficient to have it (not sucking out warm air that is being replaced with cold air leaking in and that you need to heat away).

Reactions: Ashful and kevk
Get the double wall. You dont want to extract heat from the pipe (when burning low); the steps there already skirt the "too low" border.

The stove should give the heat and if it's efficient it won't put heat up the flue more than is needed to keep the draft going.

Outside air; if your home is tight, then yes, get it. If not tight, it's still more efficient to have it (not sucking out warm air that is being replaced with cold air leaking in and that you need to heat away).
This ^ ^ ^!

Get a quote from another installer, this one is quite uninformed.
I’d use it as a chance to let the installer know that very efficient stoves cannot achieve as low a burn rate without stalling, when much heat is lost into the room through single wall pipe. If they’re belligerent or argue the point, then maybe it’s time to find another installer.

the air kit.
I think that's only an option if your stove sits on an outside wall. The air kit hoses are not permitted to run higher than the air intake of the stove. I was thinking about getting outside air from our attic, and was told that wasn't permissible.

Reactions: BKVP and stoveliker
I think that's only an option if your stove sits on an outside wall. The air kit hoses are not permitted to run higher than the air intake of the stove. I was thinking about getting outside air from our attic, and was told that wasn't permissible.
Or above a ventilated crawl space, i.e. straight down.

Reactions: Highbeam and BKVP
Get a quote from another installer, this one is quite uninformed.

Just because you can install a chimney doesn't make you an expert on stoves or chimneys. Our neighbor has been complaining about his BK since he bought it. Turns out the installer didn't add enough height on the roof and then said to add creosote remover every week. Killed his cat. Trust the people here.

• Wow
Reactions: Tron
I’d use it as a chance to let the installer know that very efficient stoves cannot achieve as low a burn rate without stalling, when much heat is lost into the room through single wall pipe. If they’re belligerent or argue the point, then maybe it’s time to find another installer.
He was just trying to save me money. I told him I wanted double wall per the manufacturers recommendations, he didn't challenge me on it. He's been doing stove & fireplace installs for 30 years and comes highly recommended - great reviews. He doesn't sell BlazeKing, I had to order it online to get what I wanted.

The stove will be installed on the main floor over a daylight basement. The pipe will run down through the floor then between the floor trusses to the outside.

Reactions: Tron and stoveliker
He was just trying to save me money. I told him I wanted double wall per the manufacturers recommendations, he didn't challenge me on it. He's been doing stove & fireplace installs for 30 years and comes highly recommended - great reviews. He doesn't sell BlazeKing, I had to order it online to get what I wanted.

No modern stove should have a longer than 3 foot run of single wall pipe, not just blazeking.

Reactions: kevk
Are you talking about a horizontal run or any run longer than 3 feet?

<3 feet of vertical either means a low ceiling or a very tall stove.

I take advantage of installing single wall stove pipe anytime I can - puts out way more heat. That being said, Blaze King does recommend double wall (see attached from the Ashford manual).
Blazeking Ashford 30 install questions

I disagree with their reasoning. Imo, as an installer, an unexposed (inside of house) pipe should never pose an issue with keeping your chimney warm enough. You're also going straight up with more than sufficient height to get some great draft. If I were the installer I'd call Blaze King and challenge them on it to see what their most knowledgeable tech has to say about stove pipe testing that's been done on that unit, as well as their opinion on your specific pipe run. If they stand by their double wall recommendation, I always do what the manufacturer says is best.
As far as fresh air, is it difficult to drop down and out? Fresh air is awesome but if it's not feasible I'm sure you have a window close by that you can just keep cracked open when the stove is running. Or maybe you also have a fresh air makeup somewhere not too far if your house is newer.

I take advantage of installing single wall stove pipe anytime I can - puts out way more heat. That being said, Blaze King does recommend double wall (see attached from the Ashford manual).
View attachment 328046
I disagree with their reasoning. Imo, as an installer, an unexposed (inside of house) pipe should never pose an issue with keeping your chimney warm enough. You're also going straight up with more than sufficient height to get some great draft. If I were the installer I'd call Blaze King and challenge them on it to see what their most knowledgeable tech has to say about stove pipe testing that's been done on that unit, as well as their opinion on your specific pipe run. If they stand by their double wall recommendation, I always do what the manufacturer says is best.
As far as fresh air, is it difficult to drop down and out? Fresh air is awesome but if it's not feasible I'm sure you have a window close by that you can just keep cracked open when the stove is running. Or maybe you also have a fresh air makeup somewhere not too far if your house is newer.
The most knowledgeable BK employee on here is BKVP.
As you don't take it from us, I'll let @BKVP going to do the talking - if that is even necessary beyond what they said in the manual...

If I were the installer I'd call Blaze King and challenge them on it to see what their most knowledgeable tech has to say about stove pipe testing that's been done on that unit, as well as their opinion on your specific pipe run. If they stand by their double wall recommendation, I always do what the manufacturer says is best.
Their VP has already stated on this forum, probably hundreds of times, that they highly recommend DW, why beat a dead horse?

The most knowledgeable BK employee on here is BKVP.
As you don't take it from us, I'll let @BKVP going to do the talking - if that is even necessary beyond what they said in the manual...
Thank you. When efficiencies began to rise and emissions began to drop, so did stack temperatures.

Stack temperatures play a role in how stoves perform. We do not suggest 100% of installs won't work on single wall pipe, but for every 10 calls we receive about poor draft performance, we know factually that stack length and single wall pipe are two likely culprits.

We now require photographs before we attempt any tech support. Just 2 weeks ago family were complaining the fuel load would not burn to completion. We emailed them a Tech Support Request form. With it were the pictures we require. 12' single wall.

We asked who installed the stove, "self". We were informed their prior stove never had any issues. They replaced the single wall with double wall, but kept it at 12'. "Runs great, whole new stove" was response....We said, wait until it gets cold and if you add 3' of class A, you'll be really happy.

Have you all noticed the most efficient stoves from various manufacturers are now recommending a specific vertical rise before transitions? The same manufacturers are recommending double wall stove pipe.

Respectfully, it's the combined knowledge and experience of an entire industry that prevail on this topic, not just me and my company.

BKVP

Last edited:
Double-wall for any stovepipe run over 8' has been recommended for quite a while. I got this advice back in 2005 when I first joined the BBS hearth.com.

Best thing to do if you want to reclaim heat from the pipe is to install a Magic Heat creosote maker. I hear it can increase the efficiency of a Blaze King by 15%! 😂😂 just kidding

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker and BKVP