Blaze King Thermostat Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
Did you get that issue with the telescopic section resolved? If that pipe isn't tight, it may be the cause of the low burn problems.

Its as good as I could get it. There doest appear to be any smoke coming out from it, or would it draw air into the pipe?

Before you load the stove next time pull the thermometer out and see if it is coated with gunk. If it is wipe it off or scrape it off. I've had to do this a number of times.

Another thing I found was the gasket to the my cat was missing a section at the bottom and the cat was leaning forward causing a gap allowing smoke to pass and gunk up the thermostat.

toejam said:
SolarAndWood said:
Did you get that issue with the telescopic section resolved? If that pipe isn't tight, it may be the cause of the low burn problems.

Its as good as I could get it. There doest appear to be any smoke coming out from it, or would it draw air into the pipe?

I doubt you would have any smoke coming out unless the cap was plugged. I would be concerned that any air entering the pipe might be an issue at low burn. Is there still enough slop that you can pick the pipe off the stove?

SolarAndWood said:
toejam said:
SolarAndWood said:

I doubt you would have any smoke coming out unless the cap was plugged. I would be concerned that any air entering the pipe might be an issue at low burn. Is there still enough slop that you can pick the pipe off the stove?

No its secured. I have everything screwed together.

learnin to burn said:
Before you load the stove next time pull the thermometer out and see if it is coated with gunk. If it is wipe it off or scrape it off. I've had to do this a number of times.

Another thing I found was the gasket to the my cat was missing a section at the bottom and the cat was leaning forward causing a gap allowing smoke to pass and gunk up the thermostat.

Be careful scraping those probe thermometers. You can damage them and get false readings. Best to soak them in a 50/50 water viniger solution or lightly wipe the soot off with a rag, don't scrape it with a scrubby pad or sand paper.

What's the weather been like lately in Johnstown PA? Could be sluggish draft from warmer temps or high humidity? When the weather gets colder you will see better draft and better burning at low settings.

Its 40 degrees right now. Were to get some snow for thanksgiving.

The house is a toasty 76 degrees burning pine.

I called Blaze King today and I got a few questions answered. I talked to a charlie and he was very nice to talk to.

They claim every stove acts differently with different flue setups. My thermostat on setting 2 might be the same as someone else s at 1. He said the trick is to find a point on the thermostat were ash will flicker on and off. As it flickers mark that as being setting number one.

I have a nice low burn with a active cat.

toejam said:
I have a nice low burn with a active cat.

Congrats and thanks for sharing BKs feedback. I find that "1" varies by wood species as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.