Blaze king questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JASFARMER

Jan 14, 2014
Canton, IL
Blaze king questions Blaze king questions I am new to this website and stumbled across it while researching new inserts. I have been doing a lot of research on here about inserts and have noticed almost a cult following for the blaze king princess insert. I was originally looking at the osburn 2400i, but after reading all the posts about the king I am very curious about a couple of things. I currently have an open fireplace ( might be zero clearance) with a woodland direct blower assembly inside. My chimney is built on the outside of the house. I have a split level house with 4 levels and the fireplace is located lower level (next level up from basement). I am aware that I will need well placed fans to move the heat around the house. I am looking for extended burn times with good heat output. I am currently having to reload every hour and I am basically only warming the room up to 70 in about 4 hours of burning. This insert won't be put in this season, but I will have something different by next season.

First I realize the big selling point for the king is burn times. I realize that on low it probably is capable of those but my question is how much heat are you getting on low settings, and also how long are burn times when it is turned up on higher settings

Secondly if my fireplace is zc but the chimney is on the outside will I have any problems putting in a non zero clearance insert ( I have measured and it will fit)

I have attached a pic of my setup and I will be moving the mantle surround if I get an insert. Thank you in advance for the input.

Attachments

• Blaze king questions
    image.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 177
I'm not sure of what stoves are approved for your set up but did want to ask, how many square feet are you trying to heat? I assume you're going to try and heat 3 levels but not sure.

I'm not sure of what stoves are approved for your set up but did want to ask, how many square feet are you trying to heat? I assume you're going to try and heat 3 levels but not sure.

Thanks for the response

Yes I am going to try and heat three of the four levels. The total house is 3000 sq ft including the basement which I am not trying to heat. A rough guess without basement is 1900-2300. The room directly above the fireplace is a bedroom with a ceiling fan. I am thinking of putting in duct work there and maybe the ceiling fan will disperse some heat up there.

First thing to do is find out what you have for a FP, if a metal then found out what stoves are approved for that type of install.

First thing to do is find out what you have for a FP, if a metal then found out what stoves are approved for that type of install.
I will find out, just was curious how the king heat output and burn times varied on different settings. If I found out it won't work then I might redo the chimney to spec so the king will work

I will find out, just was curious how the king heat output and burn times varied on different settings. If I found out it won't work then I might redo the chimney to spec so the king will work
I have the princess but if you ask that question in the Blaze King thread you might have better luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.