Blaze King Princess observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Pin type moisture meter.
Is the testing done on the freshly exposed face of wood that has just been resplit in half?
I have been concerned that extra air was getting into the chimney and cooling things down, so the last couple of years i put tape around the clean out door to make sure that was sealed up.
A half-gallon is not pretty, but not horrible if that represents 4 cords of wood burned. Still, it does sound like it may be possible that air is leaking into the chimney from somewhere. Has the chimney been inspected for any cracks, missing mortar, unsealed takeoffs, etc.?

Reactions: moresnow
Pin type moisture meter.
Yes but how are you using that meter? It is impossible to get wood that low in most of the country without a kiln

Reactions: moresnow
My King on 15', 3 cords a year produces about 3-4 cups annually. I burn mix of NW softwoods and black locust and English walnut...a little cherry.

All wood is under cover, 3 years and averages 18%-20% MC on Delmhorst J2000 moisture meter.

Something is amiss. Wood mc, poor sealing bypass, cold stack etc.

I thought i would give my observations after using a Blaze King Princess for the past 7 years. First, overall i like the stove, and i like the ability to control the heat output with a thermostat, it has worked pretty well for me. However, the combustor life listed is no where near reality. I can get about 2.5 years out of a combustor (burning from the middle of October to the middle of March, about 4.5 full cords). Even thou the combustor may still be "technically" working at 2.5 years, it is producing so much creosote that i am cleaning a 5 gallon bucket out of the chimney every 3 weeks at that point. I wouldn't mind changing the combustor every couple of years, but it is kinda pricy at a little over $200. If someone is looking at getting one of these stoves, you should be aware of the on going costs to run the stove. I realize $200 every couple years would seem like nothing to some people, but i compare it to my old stove (not cat) that i ran for 25 years without putting a part into it.
With perfectly dry wood ,i can get about three years ,burning full time. However i don't get a five gallon bucket of creosote in five years,and since burning a BK,may never have gotten that . I suspect wood that is sub par. Good luck.

Is the testing done on the freshly exposed face of wood that has just been resplit in half?

A half-gallon is not pretty, but not horrible if that represents 4 cords of wood burned. Still, it does sound like it may be possible that air is leaking into the chimney from somewhere. Has the chimney been inspected for any cracks, missing mortar, unsealed takeoffs, etc.?
I will try splitting a suspect piece this weekend. I may also try to better seal the thimble where the double pipe enters the masonry chimney.

With perfectly dry wood ,i can get about three years ,burning full time. However i don't get a five gallon bucket of creosote in five years,and since burning a BK,may never have gotten that . I suspect wood that is sub par. Good luck.

I'm telling you guys, I have burned cords of stuff straight from the woods to the stove. 25%+ MC was probably the dryest stick that hit my stove the first year, and it ate a couple trees so soggy they could only go into an already-hot stove. I've never seen anything close to 5 gallons in a year. OP had 5 gallons in less than a month. That's not something you can explain with 25% wood, unless the cat is inactive, the air is super low, and the chimney is cold. 5 gallons in 3 weeks is like an old smoke dragon being smoldered every load.

I'm telling you guys, I have burned cords of stuff straight from the woods to the stove. 25%+ MC was probably the dryest stick that hit my stove the first year, and it ate a couple trees so soggy they could only go into an already-hot stove. I've never seen anything close to 5 gallons in a year. OP had 5 gallons in less than a month. That's not something you can explain with 25% wood, unless the cat is inactive, the air is super low, and the chimney is cold. 5 gallons in 3 weeks is like an old smoke dragon being smoldered every load.
What is your chimney setup?

Or the bypass is open or left open too long.....

Reactions: jetsam

is it even possible to make 5 gallons in three weeks? Like, if you wanted too? That’s a contest that I would not want to participate in!

We started burning early December. One load of Red Oak, the rest Pine. 24/7. I will clean the 22 ft chimney liner this weekend (supposed to be mid 60's). Based on previous cleaning I am guessing not more than 2 cups. Wood has been solar kiln dried. MC is 11% max.
Cleaned liner, as expected 1,5 cup dust. No flakes, nothing shiny. Pine is bone dry.

Reactions: BKVP