Blaze King Princess install... air vent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

drhiii

Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2006
Update: I see that there is indeed a rear shield kit. So that will solve my needs now.. I was not sure which BK Princess model I was receiving (a different story), hence why I needed it to arrive and can now source things from the correct manual. So the rest is moot actually, except where to order online, BK parts like the read shield kit assembly, and blower fan kit too. tx

I just took delivery of a Blaze King Princess. It is a pedestal style. PE1006.

My current stove (Napoleon 1400), is a pedestal that sits on an air flow source… simply a 6” vent down into the basement. There is nothing special about the current setup. Stove just sits on top of this vent/hole.

Question now is, as the BK Princess is also a pedestal, it’s incoming air source is not on the bottom of the stove, but a rectangular vent on the back of the stove. It does not extend down to the bottom like the Napoleon. I suppose one could just leave it exposed like that and draw air from the room, provided we have a window open which we always do. But, anyone have a setup like this… and how? As in how does one route from the vent/hole in the floor, and route it back and up to the incoming air vent on the BK? I could fashion something I suppose…. but haven’t seen an attachment that could concievably connect to the BK vent, and then down to the back end of the pedestal of the stove, blocking it off and creating a closed box.

Not sure I have explained this but hopefully someone will have experienced this situation, and can recommend a solution. tx

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a Blaze King Princess. It is a pedestal style.

My current stove (Napoleon 1400), is a pedestal that sits on an air flow source… simply a 6” vent down into the basement. There is nothing special about the current setup. Stove just sits on top of this vent/hole.

Question now is, as the BK Princess is also a pedestal, it’s incoming air source is not on the bottom of the stove, but a rectangular vent on the back of the stove. It does not extend down to the bottom like the Napoleon. I suppose one could just leave it exposed like that and draw air from the room, provided we have a window open which we always do. But, anyone have a setup like this… and how? As in how does one route from the vent/hole in the floor, and route it back and up to the incoming air vent on the BK? I could fashion something I suppose…. but haven’t seen an attachment that could concievably connect to the BK vent, and then down to the back end of the pedestal of the stove, blocking it off and creating a closed box.

Not sure I have explained this but hopefully someone will have experienced this situation, and can recommend a solution. tx
I would just run a vent to the stove if you think you need a fresh air intake. Why do you always have a window open? That seems pretty counter productive to me.

Reactions: webby3650
Update: I was looking at the wrong manual before I took delivery of this BK a few mins ago. For all intents it is a brand new BK. Have since learned it is a BK Chinook. Which has a Rear Shield Kit, that does exactly what I need it to do. So now question will be to source this kit, and the blower kit for this Princess.

Was going to install this puppy this eve but got over my excitement and decided to place it in storage, acquire the kits, and do the install over the summer.

So, now question becomes... recommendations for BK parts and accessories?? tx

I just took delivery of a Blaze King Princess. It is a pedestal style.

You always can get the adapter online. Here is a link:
https://www.hechlers.com/product/blaze-king-outside-air-adapter/

You can use a flexible 3" hose from your hardware store and router as you want. Hope this help.

I would just run a vent to the stove if you think you need a fresh air intake. Why do you always have a window open? That seems pretty counter productive to me.

Fresh air. We have always done that, especially in the bedroom. Plenty of heat distributed in this old house.

Fresh air. We have always done that, especially in the bedroom. Plenty of heat distributed in this old house.
Ok then there is no need for an outside air intake anyway. It still makes no sense to me at all though.

Blaze King Princess install... air vent question

Last edited by a moderator:
You simply need to move the stove forward a little so the hole through the floor can line up with the connection in the back of the BK. Or move the outside air intake so the stove can be where it needs to be. I also don’t get the open window all the time. We’ve all had those moments, but it’s uncommon to be a regular occurrence.

There is a OAK kit available for your stove which allows you to hook up a 3in vent line...I plumbed mine directly through the side wall and hooked it up to a aluminum vent that has 1/2 screen mesh in it to keep pests out...I have the same model stove.

Depending upon location of window in proximity to end of stack, your use of an open window could increase pm levels in the home.

I suggest the F/A kit.

BKVP

If the hookup is 4” then there is also a 4” oak available for the princess. Mine shoots straight down through the hearth and into the ventilated crawlspace below.