Blaze King Princess creosote in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Silenced38

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2014
Southeast Oklahoma
Last winter was my first year with the Princess. Cleaned the flue pipe today and got out about 2-3 cups of creosote from 16' of pipe. That was around 3 cords of wood. Mostly white oak and hickory. Not optimal dried. Averaging around 24% moisture content. My question is, Is that a normal amount of creosote for the princess? Thanks

I don't have a princess, but a 30.2 firebox. Very similar but not the same.

The quantity (also) depends a bit on the pipe: insulated or not, inside or outside etc. (the colder it is the more deposits).

But for 3 cords of 24% wood, I think you kept the flue warm enough, and that's pretty okay.

My $0.02

I hope your wood this year will be drier - it'll burn much better (heat output per pound burned) if it's near or below 20%.

I’d be very happy for 3 cords of wetter wood with only 3 cups.

Reactions: monkfarm
Ok. Being my first winter I wast sure. Really like the BK princess. Thanks

You're fine. Also pay attention to color of the deposits. Brown is better than black. These stoves are capable of running really well with low flue temperatures and so are prone to flue accumulations unless you run them at higher settings all the time and use dry wood.

My point is, what you describe is typical for many even with drier wood.