Blaze King - King, should I get it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zherman

Jan 18, 2018
Pennsylvania
I went to my local Blaze King dealer the other day to browse and found they still have a 2019 King in stock and after a lot of reading here I think I'm interested in replacing my creosote creator with one. The only complaint I have is that it's the classic model without an ash pan which I believe I would like. The price seems pretty reasonable at $2850. The gentleman there said the bases cannot be changed on these models to add the "ultra" base to it. I called all the other dealers within 100 miles and nobody else has a 2019 model left. I put a deposit on it to hold for me and would just like some opinions. Anyone have a classic with some advice for me? How often would ashes need to be removed if I'm burning 24/7? Can blowers be added to the classic? That was something I forgot to ask the salesman. I like what I've read about these stoves and at that price, I dont think I can go wrong.

Reactions: gusguy
I have a King Ultra, I used the ashpan once in 5 years,,
Also have the fan kit, only played with it a few times, it’s not installed on stove currently, I feel like I get just as much heat without the fans hanging on the back of the stove..
I burn 24/7 and clean out ashes about every 3-4 weeks..
where are you located ??

Yeah I have never bothered with Ash pans even if they were on the stove I have. 3 to 4 weeks or more for me

I have been burning 24/7 in my princess since October and ash is only about 2” deep. I have not emptied it even once this year. The princess ash belly is 6” compared to 8 or 9” on the king. I’ve burned about 3.5 cords of Doug fir.

The ash pan system is a clunky plug in the floor but on the ultra the pan is big enoughto make it reasonably convenient so I use it.

The 2020 king and princess models are approved and their specs are very good. Unlike some stove models, I don’t see a reason to prefer the old pre 2020 version other than price.

I appreciate the responses. I live in PA and heat our house with wood only except when it gets bitter cold for a few days, then my propane stove kicks in to help out. I prefer the price discount of almost $1300 over ordering a 2020. The salesman gave me a quote of over $4000 for one of them which is why I am interested in the 2019 model. It sounds like I won't be missing the ash pan too much. It will be a learning curve for me to get used to a catalyst stove but from all the praises I've read on here, I think I should be happy with my choice. Thank you

Never used the ashpan. Shovel works great. Dont forget that unit needs 8” pipe

Reactions: Highbeam
For that price, grab it, you wont be sorry.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
If the ash plug/pan is anything like the Ashford 30, you won't miss it. I burn 24/7 and clean out about once a month. The amount of ash will depend on what your burning.
I tend to get a lot of "clinker" that I have to shovel out anyway, so I never use the pan.

All of these responses are making me feel much better. I have heard lots of good things about Blaze King products. I still need to get an 8" chimney setup but I will have all summer to work on that. Thank you all for your inputs

It will need good dry wood tho... That would be much higher on my list of concerns then the ash pan. I have emptied my little guy twice this year, but I only burn a little over a cord per year.

If you can swing an 8" flue, can't go wrong with a King. Imagine a wood stove you can burn 24x7 and load a few times a week in shoulder season. Maybe a couple times a week with a good install and dialled in draft. Sound like fiction? You'll find out! :)

I shovel way more than Highbeam. I've taken maybe 8-10 gallons of ash out of my Princess this year. I take out about 2 gallons at a time.

I burn 24/7. The wood stove was the only heat until this year. I used a little resistive heat from space heaters this year because I got solar installed and the electricity was free!

Wow that sounds great. One of the selling points for my wife to get on board was that she wouldn't have to touch it while I'm at work haha. I can't imagine how nice it would be to go that long on a load, even 12 hours while I'm gone would be great. The chimney will be a project this summer as I only have a 6" liner in my existing masonry chimney right now. The burn times and heat output of that stove should be worth the expense for our house.

Wow that sounds great. One of the selling points for my wife to get on board was that she wouldn't have to touch it while I'm at work haha. I can't imagine how nice it would be to go that long on a load, even 12 hours while I'm gone would be great. The chimney will be a project this summer as I only have a 6" liner in my existing masonry chimney right now. The burn times and heat output of that stove should be worth the expense for our house.
The burn time you get from a stove in your house will depend upon the btu load. I am running a princess now and while the stove will easily run 20 plus hours I never do it because I want to heat my house and that simply isn't enough BTUs to do that. But with a king 12 hour cycles will still be giving you a lot of BTUs.

I appreciate the responses. I live in PA and heat our house with wood only except when it gets bitter cold for a few days, then my propane stove kicks in to help out. I prefer the price discount of almost $1300 over ordering a 2020. The salesman gave me a quote of over $4000 for one of them which is why I am interested in the 2019 model. It sounds like I won't be missing the ash pan too much. It will be a learning curve for me to get used to a catalyst stove but from all the praises I've read on here, I think I should be happy with my choice. Thank you
I have ran a Princess for 4 years now and have not used the ash pan one time.I primarily burn oak and clean out ashes every 1-2 weeks...this is far more than the little ash pan will hold in 1 shot so I dont bother..My friend runs a King in a farm house that is anything but tight..he gets a easy 12 hours keeping that leaky place in the low 70s burning Hedge,Oak and Hickory in the stove room and mid to upper 60s in the adjoining rooms...during bitter cold weather he will switch to 8 hour burn cycles and the propane does not come on...I wish I would have not been so strapped for cash at the time or a King would be setting in my living room for the extended run times.

The king is a physically large stove. Like a giant. Glad you’ve seen one in person to avoid shock.

Reactions: bholler
The king is a physically large stove. Like a giant. Glad you’ve seen one in person to avoid shock.

Yes, it is a large stove. My current stove is a DS Machine wood/coal combo and it is every bit as big if not bigger than the king. Over 600 lbs! The DS heats my home very well, only problem is the way the smoke travels through the stove. It cools down so much by the time it gets to the stove pipe and makes a lot of creosote.

Yes, it is a large stove. My current stove is a DS Machine wood/coal combo and it is every bit as big if not bigger than the king. Over 600 lbs! The DS heats my home very well, only problem is the way the smoke travels through the stove. It cools down so much by the time it gets to the stove pipe and makes a lot of creosote.
The difference between a bk and a DS is going to be massive. The engineering of most DS stoves leaves allot to be desired. How long of burn times are you getting out of the DS? What moisture content is your wood at?

8 hours is pushing it for the DS. Moisture content is about 20%. I have a decent amount of wood that I cut last winter which should be good for the King next year. My fingers are crossed that I will be able to have enough that is dry. The 2021-2022 winter should be much better as I have prepared a lot of wood over the last couple of months.

Your getting good advise here. A couple other things to consider.
Unless I missed it mentioned already. The King venting requires a 3 foot vertical run before making a turn to tap into a wall pass through or masonry chimney. This is a rule I would not consider bending.
If making a 90* into your masonry consider two 45 * elbows instead.
Also. Is your current masonry chimney large enough to accommodate a insulated 8' stainless liner? BK's exhaust very cool when running low and slow during a good portion of the heating season.
Honestly if a new BK user is unsatisfied it normally relates to a sub par vent system or as has been mentioned. Poorly seasoned wood. Things to consider if you want to get the most from your investment.
Good luck! Enjoy.

Your getting good advise here. A couple other things to consider.
Unless I missed it mentioned already. The King venting requires a 3 foot vertical run before making a turn to tap into a wall pass through or masonry chimney. This is a rule I would not consider bending.
If making a 90* into your masonry consider two 45 * elbows instead.
Also. Is your current masonry chimney large enough to accommodate a insulated 8' stainless liner? BK's exhaust very cool when running low and slow during a good portion of the heating season.
Honestly if a new BK user is unsatisfied it normally relates to a sub par vent system or as has been mentioned. Poorly seasoned wood. Things to consider if you want to get the most from your investment.
Good luck! Enjoy.

I don't believe my current chimney will be big enough so I am planning to add a stainless chimney this summer. I see in the brochure that i got for the King the minimum of 2 ft straight rise but 3 ft is recommended. Is this to help draft?

I don't believe my current chimney will be big enough so I am planning to add a stainless chimney this summer. I see in the brochure that i got for the King the minimum of 2 ft straight rise but 3 ft is recommended. Is this to help draft?

Yes, for draft. Especially when you open the large loading door it provides a more immediate suck to minimize the chance of smoke spillage. All of the the bk models specify that initial vertical rise.

Ideally your new chimney would be all vertical and inside the home until it passes through your roof. Easy to clean, best draft, warm chimney is less likely to accumulate deposits, less pipe to buy.

BKs can be creosote factories too. Combine wet wood with a stove that can be adjusted down super low, and you can make a lot of creo.

Burn it right and you won't get any.