Blaze King Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toejam

Hearth Supporter
Sep 27, 2009
Johnstown, Pa
Blaze King Install

Blaze King Install

Blaze King Install

Blaze King Install

Blaze King Install

This is the connector into the chimney box.

Blaze King Install

Blaze King Install

It wont snap into the chimney section. Should I be worried about this? Why is this such a weak connection?

The first fires I build to burn the paint should I keep the by-pass door open?

Is it ok to let the fires burn down completely with the cat engaged?

Nice looking install toejam. If you do a search on doublewall stovepipe, there was a thread 6 weeks ago about some of the issues connecting double wall to the ceiling adaptor. As I recall, some of the ceiling adaptors had to be trimmed.

Agreed, you might have to trim your adaptor for a better fit.

The first couple of fires I did w/o the cat. The first one was too cool to engage the cat and the second I wanted to subject the stove to more consistent temps by not using the cat. The third I ran it up pretty good and also engaged the cat. But, there's more than one way to skin a cat...

Yes, it's okay to leave the cat engaged as the fire cools off. You can't be around all the time to prevent this anyway. Anything deposited on the cat will quickly burn off next time it's engaged. The last stages of the fire (coals) are typically clean burning anyway.

BTW, nice looking Big Mac and install!

If that is simpson pipe then you can't ever really get that top piece tight anyway. It's just a silly little dimpled ring that is supposed to pop into the groove in the ceiling box to sorta hold it there. It easily moves in and out. In your install, as with mine, I would have one person hold it tight into the ceiling box while somebody else installs the screws in the telescoping section. You're really depending on the fact that the pipe must collapse before it can fall out of the ceiling box.

I can't wait to hear how you like burning the beast. Why did you go for the king? Looks like a smaller home.

Is that really enough clearance to combustibles on the sides? Meaning the floor?

There is no r value for the floor, only amber protection.

It was a toss up between the mansfield and the king. After lurking here it seemed I couldnt go wrong with the king.

The house is 3000 sf. The upper part is 1500, sf with the cathedral ceiling.

I'm newbie so I'm sure there is something that I don't know but I've never seen a stove that big with that little clearance. What am I missing? What does it mean for the floor have no r-value?

The hearth, even if only "ember protection" must be non-combustible material and must extend a minimum distance to the sides and in front/back of the stove. This distance is called out in your owner's manual. It seems like you didn't leave much on the sides, did you meet the manual's minimum? Given your house size, I would have gone for the king too.

FLOOR PROTECTOR
The stove must be placed on a floor protector.
A floor protector is a noncombustible surfacing applied to the floor area underneath and extending in front, to the
sides and to the rear of a heat producing appliance.
To provide the proper clearances, the floor protector must extend

18" in front of the loading door opening.
8" from each side of the loading door opening.

KEJ floor protector must be no smaller than 34” x 45".
PEJ floor protector must be no smaller than 32” x 44".
The floor protector must extend to the wall under a wall exit installation and must extend 2” beyond each side of
the horizontal section of chimney connector

Looks good. That bad boy must put out some serious heat.

The king has arrived! good install! you will heat everyone out of the house with that, i had my guests sweating tonight when they were over.. it was only 82 inside F and 10 F outside..

Highbeam said:
If that is simpson pipe then you can't ever really get that top piece tight anyway. It's just a silly little dimpled ring that is supposed to pop into the groove in the ceiling box to sorta hold it there. It easily moves in and out. In your install, as with mine, I would have one person hold it tight into the ceiling box while somebody else installs the screws in the telescoping section. You're really depending on the fact that the pipe must collapse before it can fall out of the ceiling box.

If it isn't the problem where the ceiling box needs to be trimmed and is the issue that Highbeam refers to, I ran into this with the DVL as well. I extended the telescopic beyond what I needed, put the pipe in place at a 45 and then slid the stove back kind of like you would with a fixed pipe. This was the only way I could get it tight to the ceiling adapter and the top of the stove.

Looks great!...Those dogs will love it to...mine lay together in front all night...

Thanks for the pictures!

Looks very classy! :coolsmile:

Nice looking stove, Your gonna have to open the windows and let that sucker rip! I really didnt do a breakin fire on my BKPI, I just let her fire up and turned the temp down to control the heat. My paint did not crack all was good with mine.

It one heck of a heating machine.
Remember go E/W when loading your splits.

toejam said:
The house is 3000 sf. The upper part is 1500, sf with the cathedral ceiling.
How are you going to get the heat to the basement? If you don't already have a ceiling fan in the area with the cathedral ceiling, you really should consider one.

Great looking stove. I like the looks of Parlor model over the other models. Keep us posted on the stove performance.

Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. There arent many bk pictures on this site so I thought I would add a couple.

The basement wont get the heat from above. I do have ceiling fans for the circulation. If the heat becomes overwhelming I can heat the two car garage as well.

Blaze King Install

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

You shouldn't have a hard time dialing it back. After you get it burning slowly dial it back. I'm betting you can heat that place with the T-stat set on the bottom of the normal range(1.75), maybe lower in warmer weather.

What if any danger does the adapter have if its no secured correctly? I cant find the post that was mentioned on this. I am afraid of messing with the support box.

Will smoke enter the house? Will smoke enter the square ceiling support box into the attic area?

The problem is that at low burn, the flue temp is pretty low which challenges the draft. When you put the pipe up, did it come into contact with the flange on the ceiling adaptor and stop or were you unable to extend the telescopic that last 1/2 inch to get it tight?

The pipe hits the chimney keeping the adapter from going any further up inside. The telescoping pipe is a nightmare. I dont know if they were damaged in shipping. They do not go together very well. I have to fight with it to move it in and out. When I try and push up the pipe it picks the entire pipe up off the stove. The costs of this pipe I would think the quality would be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.