Blaze King insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

redrig

Hearth Supporter
Nov 23, 2009
Utah
Hello all, this is my first post and I have a rookie question about this insert that I am lookng at purchasing.

It is a Blaze King insert that has a model number KFF403 and I have a question about the venting of it. it does not have the 6" or 8" place for the exhaust, it has a rectangular 20" x 3.5" hole, my question is if I am to purchase this, how do install in fireplace ? do you just slide these in the fireplace and use the surround to block off rest of fireplace? or is there some type of adapter that I buy to get me from this rectangular exhaust into 6 or 8 inch pipe? thanks in advance

Sliding it in with no pipe and using the surround is called a 'slammer' install and isn't code in many (any?) places because it creates a dangerous condition back there besides usually not drafting well. I believe some chimney parts supply places sell oblong to round adapters so you can install a proper liner. How old is the insert? I didn't think Blaze King made them with that type of exhaust on the top.

I am not sure of how old it is, I am looking under that model number on google and thier website and cant find a date, here is the link to the seller with a pic.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8770985&cat=50&lpid;=

I have seen a few of these style inserts that dont have a hookup for the pipe, I dont see how smoke does not fill the room with a "slammer" setup

That's an old stove, certainly not an EPA model. Unless it's a freebie, and you're really fond of it, I'd suggest your money is probably better spent elsewhere. If you need more info on that model, call BK.

Here is the manual for the stove. BK's web maintainer can't type worth squat. :lol:

http://www.blazeking.com/Manuals/Out of Production OM/KFF-403_PFF-403_BFF-403.pdf

Cut and paste the whole URL into your browser.

redrig said:
I am not sure of how old it is, I am looking under that model number on google and thier website and cant find a date, here is the link to the seller with a pic.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8770985&cat=50&lpid;=

I have seen a few of these style inserts that dont have a hookup for the pipe, I dont see how smoke does not fill the room with a "slammer" setup

Looks like from the manual BB provided it is from the early 80's. I second the opinion on using your money elsewhere and getting an EPA insert instead. Depending on how tightly the surround was insulated, many of these installs did smoke and suffered from poor performance. They became popular in the 70's during the oil embargo as many believed it was a quick easy way of saving some heating costs but ended up giving inserts a bad rep.

OK, thank you for the heads up, I dont want that in my house with that setup so .............. the search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.