blaze king cat temp at low burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
BSS ? I have tried 15 min after I reach 500 degrees same results not every time but gradually hits 6 o’clock 2-4 t/stat. Operator error possibly set it and forget it not with stove

Not trying to start an argument here

Not trying to start an argument here

bss is your really long name shortened. Sorry. No arguments, trying to solve your problem but really, what is the problem? The cat meter from bk is only for knowing when the cat is active or not. Sounds like it’s working fine.

Reactions: MissMac
I’ve never had this problem. I’ve never got my cat probe more than a couple ticks past the 2/3 mark in the active zone.

Reactions: Smolder
I’ve never had this problem. I’ve never got my cat probe more than a couple ticks past the 2/3 mark in the active zone.
Same here. I have never seen my probe pegged. But i also have never seen my cat glow bright orange like some have reported here (pics). It glows red, dull red but never bright orange.

Reactions: Smolder
Same here. I have never seen my probe pegged. But i also have never seen my cat glow bright orange like some have reported here (pics). It glows red, dull red but never bright orange.
I don't mind seeing a little orange, but I like to still be able to see the cells in the cat. When it gets so bright that I can no longer see the cells, I'll cut the air a little, or else get some flame going to eat some of the smoke. I'd guess that's below 1400. No cat probe on the Ks yet, I'm just guessing from what I've seen on other stoves where I could compare the glow to the probe reading.

I don't mind seeing a little orange, but I like to still be able to see the cells in the cat. When it gets so bright that I can no longer see the cells, I'll cut the air a little, or else get some flame going to eat some of the smoke. I'd guess that's below 1400. No cat probe on the Ks yet, I'm just guessing from what I've seen on other stoves where I could compare the glow to the probe reading.
Surly I’m not the only one here with this Combustor reaction as I recently posted. Two things I don’t do anymore is open the T/Stat when the Cat is into over heat is open the T/Stat to get a little flame because I end up with an explosive puff with smoke inside my home. All my problems I think are draft related build up of smoke in the box at 2-10 mph wind seem to overwhelm the cat causing higher cat temperatures. This is also why I don’t set T/stat and walk away I don’t have time to be babysitting the T/Stat. Again if I set T/Stat at 1-3 with higher wind speeds 10-45 mph stove preforms and I can set it and forget it Cat does not go into overheat. High beam and all I appreciate your input

Reactions: Highbeam
Surly I’m not the only one here with this Combustor reaction as I recently posted. Two things I don’t do anymore is open the T/Stat when the Cat is into over heat is open the T/Stat to get a little flame because I end up with an explosive puff with smoke inside my home. All my problems I think are draft related build up of smoke in the box at 2-10 mph wind seem to overwhelm the cat causing higher cat temperatures. This is also why I don’t set T/stat and walk away I don’t have time to be babysitting the T/Stat. Again if I set T/Stat at 1-3 with higher wind speeds 10-45 mph stove preforms and I can set it and forget it Cat does not go into overheat. High beam and all I appreciate your input
Maybe you can prevent the backpuff by opening the air in smaller increments..?
Hard to guess what might be going on with the wind. Can you describe your external chimney? Is it on the leeward side of the roof ridge, or what?

Old picture I changed the Burger King chimney cap to top hat design chimney is inline with North Pole

Attachments

• blaze king cat temp at low burn
    9E1DCBEB-2909-43E5-8035-A436CA38DF91.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 128
Old picture I changed the Burger King chimney cap to top hat design chimney is inline with North Pole
To the left of picture is the roof line that runs east and west. It’s warmer here now and not burning at night.

To the left of picture is the roof line that runs east and west. It’s warmer here now and not burning at night.
Right. I guess that with orientation to the prevailing wind, you could be getting some funky pressures on the stack in some situations, but I'd think the cap would remedy those..? But you are probably at elevation as well; That, and possibly atmospheric pressure could be at play as well. I'm way over my head here, just throwing spitballs at this point. ;lol

Last edited:
Well, the actual temperature is 1600 for "extended periods" where damage can happen. If you have an aftermarket cat temperature measuring device that you trust then you will see that your stove is designed (if properly maintained) to prevent the cat from hitting those unsafe temperatures.

My cat loves to hang out between 1200 and 1400 for the majority of every burn cycle. I have an aftermarket condar cat thermometer with actual numbers.
I am running the Condar as well...with a load of Ash it will hang out around the 900-1000 mark...with Oak it is in the 1000-1200 range...

I am running the Condar as well...with a load of Ash it will hang out around the 900-1000 mark...with Oak it is in the 1000-1200 range...
The Doug Fir that Highbeam burns may gas a bit harder due to the pitch, I don't know.
But I'd think that our lighter woods would gas faster than more dense woods. I see that in my SIL's non-cat, with soft Maple getting engulfed faster, with more early secondary action as a result. Your results with the Ash vs. Oak contradict that, though. Maybe once the dense woods really get rolling, they eventually pour more smoke to the cat.

The Doug Fir that Highbeam burns may gas a bit harder due to the pitch, I don't know.
But I'd think that our lighter woods would gas faster than more dense woods. I see that in my SIL's non-cat, with soft Maple getting engulfed faster, with more early secondary action as a result. Your results with the Ash vs. Oak contradict that, though. Maybe once the dense woods really get rolling, they eventually pour more smoke to the cat.
You are correct...I back the air off for the softer woods to extend the burn time..

I tend to end up with the pitchier Doug fir too. Large trees and near the base. I’d bet the pitch really provides a lot of cat chow.