Blaze King Boxer 24 Thermostat malfunctioning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

feener52

Oct 17, 2024
Nova Scotia
Hi everyone!

This may seem redundant given some of these other posts but I'm hopeful I can get some guidance here.
I got a Blaze King Boxer 24 installed yesterday and lit my first fire last night. I noticed a few things during the first burn.

1) The Cat thermometer was pinned far to the right of the active zone for a decent amount of time after I closed the bypass. During this time the Cat was bright orange. Can these stoves take that amount of prolonged heat without damage? I couldn't seem to control the temp with the thermostat.

2) The thermostat dial seems really loose to me and has way too much range in motion. I removed the front plate today to check it out and the knob is connected to the rod that ties into the thermostat. As I turn the dial to the high temp setting (around 6 o'clock) the little butterfly mechanism does open up but the second I let go of the dial, the butterfly closes under the weight of the dial. Further, when I start to move the dial to the lower setting, there seems to be a dead zone where nothing happens (butterfly doesn't move at all) and the dial has no tension on it despite the rod turning with the dial. As I move well past 12 o'clock in a counter-clockwise motion, I begin to get tension again and the butterfly closes. The dial then stops when I get to around 8 o'clock.

I stopped by my local stove supply shop and tried a floor model Boxer 24 to see how the thermostat felt on that and it was solid with little play in the dial between low and high temp. Totally different feel to my stove. Is there a way to adjust the dial travel or am I looking at a dud thermostat in a new unit?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Any help would be appreciated!

The first thing to check is to see if the knob is loose. I think there is a set-screw that holds it tight to the shaft.

@#1
The thermostat is not meant to regulate the temperature that you measure with the gauge.
The measurement.is only meant as a signal to you to close the bypass.

The cat will be hyperactive initially, as you see. That's normal and will go down within half a cord of wood or so.

This is all normal.

The thermostat (has been calibrated to) regulates the heat output to the room, and the cat temperature has not much to do with that. These (temp gauge and thermostat) are not related.

Trending content