Blaze King Ashford on Hardwood Floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
Hey guys, I have a blaze King Ashford. I am considering putting hardwood floors in that area and I was wondering what you would think about setting it on a hardwood floor. If I recall the owners manual indicates that one only needs floor protection under this model. I never remember feeling any heat below the stove or in front of it on the floor during the winter. This is why I’m considering this option but I would love to know your opinions.

None combustible floor material with is of solid plane (no cracks) incase an ember / ash falls out onto it.

There is no problem with putting this or any stove on a hardwood floor as long as the hearth protection requirements are honored. In the case of the Ashford, it just needs ember protection. Note that it is fine to exceed the minimum requirements.

From the Ashford manual:
FLOOR PROTECTION

If the stove sits on a combustible fl oor, a non-combustible shield must be used underneath the
stove and extending 16” out from the front and 8” on either side of the fuel-loading door in the
USA. In Canada a non-combustible shield must be used underneath the stove and extending 8”
on either side and rear and 18” out in front of the loading door.
A non-combustible shield is also required underneath the chimney connector and extending at
least 2” (50.8mm) on either side of the chimney connector.

Obviously you can't set the stove directly on the wood floor. I hope that's not what you were suggesting.

The options for ember protection include a layer of glass, sheet of copper, steel, or anything else that is even very thin but shields the wood floor from the embers.

What ^^^^ he said! Unless you want to get some smoke smell........

I have my F55 on a wood floor and used this:

It's also ember protection only.

Did your hearth pad conform to your floor?
Was your floor SUPER flat or does it have slight waviness?
Do you think 16 gauge is appropriate? Would 14 or 18 gauge be better?

I had the same situation. I had pretty (and old) hardwood floors and didn't want a hearth pad "lip", so I counter sunk my hearth to be flush with the floor.
Blaze King Ashford on Hardwood Floor?

Yeah.
It looks nice too !
I'm thinking that if it is to be metal, it should be thinner than thicker, and initially weigh down the edges.
And then perhaps use double-sided carpet tape around the outer perimeter.

Yeah.
It looks nice too !
I'm thinking that if it is to be metal, it should be thinner than thicker, and initially weigh down the edges.
And then perhaps use double-sided carpet tape around the outer perimeter.
If the metal is thin, it should have the edges folded over 1/2" (hemmed) in a commercial brake. Then it should be tacked down at regular intervals. Thicker metal, like 20 ga or greater. will lay flat on its own.

Reactions: LGMC and Smolder