Blaze King Ashford 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

The Brit

Dec 3, 2018
BC, Canada
Hi guys, I have a one year old Ashford 30 and was wondering if I use the stove with the damper open a little to get some attractive flames, would it ultimately do any harm or affect the cat in a negative way?
Thanks much
Andy

P.S. has anyone come up with a good way to reduce the black creosote on the glass (dragon eyes). I know you can reduce some of this by burning on high, but then I would have to have the windows open and run around in my shorts :)

My understanding is that running with the bypass open will damage the stove parts. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and be more detailed either way. Have you tried burning on high but with a small fire? That should give you less heat, visible flame, and cleaner glass.

My understanding is that running with the bypass open will damage the stove parts. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in and be more detailed either way. Have you tried burning on high but with a small fire? That should give you less heat, visible flame, and cleaner glass.
Yes, I have been waiting to experiment with a small load, if possible one log or two or three smaller pieces. Of course at night I can load it a bit more for an overnight burn.

Running with the bypass damper int he open position will make high temperatures and bend expensive parts not covered by the warranty.

Sounds like small loads on high throttle settings will best meet your short term desires, giving visible flame, clean glass and closed windows.

The stove doesn't come with a damper. If you have one in your flue, you should keep it open unless you have a reason to turn it down.

Don't burn with the cat bypass open. This doesn't have any effect on visible flames anyway (or if it does, your cat is plugged and needs a little shopvac action).

Any time you want flames, just turn the thermostat up.

Clean the door by burning dryer wood, and/or burn on higher thermostat settings. I find that mine gets black every spring and fall, and cleans itself every winter.

I clean mine anytime i let it go cold. Its a quick 2minute clean and outside of the heat - watching the flames are one of the best features...

Running with the bypass damper int he open position will make high temperatures and bend expensive parts not covered by the warranty.

Sounds like small loads on high throttle settings will best meet your short term desires, giving visible flame, clean glass and closed windows.
Thanks a lot my friend, I will certainly be careful and give your advice a try.

The stove doesn't come with a damper. If you have one in your flue, you should keep it open unless you have a reason to turn it down.

Don't burn with the cat bypass open. This doesn't have any effect on visible flames anyway (or if it does, your cat is plugged and needs a little shopvac action).

Any time you want flames, just turn the thermostat up.

Clean the door by burning dryer wood, and/or burn on higher thermostat settings. I find that mine gets black every spring and fall, and cleans itself every winter.
Interesting. Yes I guess damper was the wrong word to use. The by-pass flap actuated by the side lever is what I meant. So you think having it open doesn't change the flame aesthetics? Can you confirm though, if it will damage anything or soot up the flu too much if open at all or even a little? I know the cat is very clean and in good working order.

I clean mine anytime i let it go cold. Its a quick 2minute clean and outside of the heat - watching the flames are one of the best features...
A two minute clean will mean cleaning it every three days or so I think. Longer than that I usually get too much build up and have to scrape it, which is too messy and brutal on the unit.
What setting do you have when watching the flames, and what is the wood loading like?
Thanks again mate.

Interesting. Yes I guess damper was the wrong word to use. The by-pass flap actuated by the side lever is what I meant. So you think having it open doesn't change the flame aesthetics? Can you confirm though, if it will damage anything or soot up the flu too much if open at all or even a little? I know the cat is very clean and in good working order.
The stove is not designed to run it with bypass open unless when waiting for the cat probe to get into the active zone. If you want flames, just open the air knob a little more till you have the flames. The bypass lever should be in the close position and be sure that it clicks shut for the rest of the burn after cat is in the active zone.

And yes, you will damaged internal parts and putting all that heat out. The bypass is not the one giving the air to the system. Regardless if open or closed the only way of controlling flame is thru the tstat knob that is the air inlet.

The stove is not designed to run it with bypass open unless when waiting for the cat probe to get into the active zone. If you want flames, just open the air knob a little more till you have the flames. The bypass lever should be in the close position and be sure that it clicks shut for the rest of the burn after cat is in the active zone.
Now you got me curious ..... what is the "air knob"? I don't think I have one of those.
Appreciate your feedback my friend.

Now you got me curious ..... what is the "air knob"? I don't think I have one of those.
Appreciate your feedback my friend.
You should have a knob on the left side of the stove all the way back. Please read the manual and the correct operation of the stove for your safety.

So you think having it open doesn't change the flame aesthetics? Can you confirm though, if it will damage anything or soot up the flu too much if open at all or even a little? I know the cat is very clean and in good working order.

Opening the bypass could cause the flames to go up a tiny bit in a properly operating stove, or a lot in a stove with a plugged cat.in a properly operating stove, you can adjust the flames from zero to roaring inferno just by using the thermostat, so there's no reason to involve the bypass.

Many BKs are in theory susceptible to damage from melted bypass retainers if burned for long periods with the bypass open. I don't know if your stove is in that group. Mine is, and I've accidentally burned a couple loads with the bypass open, and haven't hurt the stove. (But don't do it- there is no reason to, it wastes wood, and you could in theory damage your stove.)

You could get more gunk in the flue with the bypass open because you are not reburning anything, and a lot of volatile organics are going up the flue.

You don't know that the cat is clean unless you've inspected both the front and back of it, which requires either pulling the cat or pulling the flue pipe. If you feel that flipping your bypass open is the only way to get a flame show, your cat is probably plugged.

Just burn smaller size pieces and increase thermostat setting. You'll get plenty of flame.

Reactions: jetsam
You don't know that the cat is clean unless you've inspected both the front and back of it, which requires either pulling the cat or pulling the flue pipe.

Actually, when you remove the flue pipe you still can't see the back of the cat. Most of it is hidden behind a steel baffle that hangs down behind the cat. You're better off looking through the cells with a cell phone camera from the front.

Reactions: jetsam
Actually, when you remove the flue pipe you still can't see the back of the cat. Most of it is hidden behind a steel baffle that hangs down behind the cat. You're better off looking through the cells with a cell phone camera from the front.

I was assuming you could get a good photo with the pipe off, but I don't have that stove.

It seems from all of these good replies that all is working properly on my unit. The only hope I have of getting a bit more flame is to burn smaller logs or a small load and set the cat a little higher. I will be patient and give it a good try.
Thanks to all for your input.

It seems from all of these good replies that all is working properly on my unit. The only hope I have of getting a bit more flame is to burn smaller logs or a small load and set the cat a little higher. I will be patient and give it a good try.
Thanks to all for your input.

It doesn't take trial and error. You should have a roaring fire with any amount of wood and the thermostat turned all the way up.

If you don't, clogged cat and/or wet wood is most likely.