Blaze King 25 inserts Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have opportunity to sell my FPX insert that 3 years old and buy another insert. FPX performed well with 24/7 burn in North-East with 3 loads in 24 hours cycle . Kept 1900 sq ft in range of 67- 77 depending on weather. (with one small room closed and chilly). Thinking about BK , liking the thermostat and curious about all the hype around it. Wondering if it will do the job. BK 25s listed as heater up to 1600 sq ft, fire box is 2.3 cqft. Fpx claims 2500 sq ft and has firebox of 3 cu sq ft. Don't like firebox on FPX. It goes from 26" in front to 20" in back , so, not really usable space with real wood cut to the same size..

Question : 1. Do you think that Ashford will do the job heating the place?

2.How much of 2.3 sq.ft is usable as I understand Ashford has tapered firebox as well. Actual dimensions would be great.

Last edited:
Looking at the firebrick layout for the FPX Hybrid Large I have a hard time convincing myself this is a 3.0 cu ft stove. Based on the firebrick alone it looks like the Ashford 25 has a more usable layout and volume. I am assuming the Ashford 25's "A" firebrick is a standard 4.5"x9". What do you think?
Blaze King  25 inserts   Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap. Blaze King  25 inserts   Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap.

Can you verify the loading depth of the firebox?

Last edited:
It’s 13” to andirons an about 16 to the glass .

Attachments

• Blaze King  25 inserts   Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap.
    5CF4EAE6-B380-4CC7-B52F-76DE15DE8360.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 160
  • Blaze King  25 inserts   Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap.
    image.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 152
It’s 13” to andirons an about 16 to the glass .
Thanks, on the back of a napkin I get ~ 2.0cu ft loading to the andirons as recommended and allowing a 12" high load size or 2.4 cu ft allowing a 14" high load. Methinks they may be using total firebox volume and not usable firebox volume in the spec.

If I was going to replace an FPX with a new insert for better heat, I'd be looking only at semiflush units. BK Princess and Kuma Sequoia come to mind!
Kuma is 8 inch flue , that is not going to fit , princess would never get approved because of furnace look

Thanks, on the back of a napkin I get ~ 2.0cu ft loading to the andirons as recommended and allowing a 12" high load size or 2.4 cu ft allowing a 14" high load. Methinks they may be using total firebox volume and not usable firebox volume in the spec.

I’m pretty sure they use total firebox volume. Case in point my rockport has a 2.15 firebox from the specs and the ashford lists a 2.3 and the ashford can hold at least twice the amount of wood in it. Although some of that is because you can only load E/W in the rockport.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I’m pretty sure they use total firebox volume. Case in point my rockport has a 2.15 firebox from the specs and the ashford lists a 2.3 and the ashford can hold at least twice the amount of wood in it. Although some of that is because you can only load E/W in the rockport.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
Oh , yeah . It’s total volume that listed . That why I’m trying to figure out useful volume . How wide is back wall on your Ashford 25 ? What is the distance from back wall to the point where you can still load wood? ( in my case andirons ) How high you can load it from the floor of firebox . I’d really appreciate the actual measurements

Oh , yeah . It’s total volume that listed . That why I’m trying to figure out useful volume . How wide is back wall on your Ashford 25 ? What is the distance from back wall to the point where you can still load wood? ( in my case andirons ) How high you can load it from the floor of firebox . I’d really appreciate the actual measurements

Blaze King  25 inserts   Vs FPX Large Fire Hybrid . Is it worth to swap.

It is 17 3/4” from back fire bricks to the door seal. As you can see using wood that sits on the ledge if using wood that is really ashy it makes a mess and falls on the ash lip when the door is opened. When using wood at 16” it is much better at keeping the ash inside.

I can get the other measurements here in a couple hours, it’s still chugging along right now but will reload soon.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

16 in is reallly impressive . I’d really appreciate back wall and height measurements.

Back wall brick to brick is 18”

Front opening brick to brick is 22.5”

Floor to dome guard is 10”

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

That's almost exactly what I guessed from the brick pattern. Does the 10" height clearance increase in the front of the firebox?

That's almost exactly what I guessed from the brick pattern. Does the 10" height clearance increase in the front of the firebox?

I can measure in the morning but the height of the cat plus maybe another 1/2” for the guard.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I can measure in the morning but the height of the cat plus maybe another 1/2” for the guard.
If 10", I come up with a usable firebox of a bit more than 2.0 cu ft giving a 17" depth. It would be a tight fit for some of the big splits I am burning.

Thanks for the measurements tegbert. This is something that I've been thinking about recently. Listed firebox volume is almost a meaningless number unless you are always cramming the gaps with envi blocks or shorties. Then I wonder too, if we take the fpx large 3.0 firebox but only routinely fill it with say 1.8 cu ft of would, would you get more efficiency out of a smaller unit that has maybe a 2.1 firebox that is almost completely filled with the same 1.8 load??

The Ashfords firebox does seem like a great compromise. You can get 16 maybe 17 inches n/s and then any long or odd splits e/w.

The firebox ive seen with probably the best dimensions is the quad 4100, it's basically 19*19. Listed at 2.4 cu ft I did the math and I can't recall exact numbers but with 18" splits you can load up something like 2.25 cu ft. Take those same 18 inch splits and put them in the very similar sized quad Voyageur grand (2.35 cu ft but very shallow and tapered box) and you are only loading like 1.75 cu ft per load.

Why I prefer a stove with a squarish firebox - more flexible loading options, no need for andirons and no worry about logs rolling into the glass.

Back wall brick to brick is 18”

Front opening brick to brick is 22.5”

Floor to dome guard is 10”

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25
Thank you so much . Just curious what sq footage you are heating with it and what your impression so far?

Thank you so much . Just curious what sq footage you are heating with it and what your impression so far?

House is 1899 sqft. On these shoulder season days it is usually the only one going. Temps around 38-50. On low it keeps the far end of the home in the upper 60’s and the master about mid 60’s usually because our door ends up shut to prevent the kids from going into there. Stove room right around 75-78 and the adjacent rec room and living room around 71.

Any lower than those outside temps we will use both so I can still use the ashford on low to extend the burn time. It will heat our house by itself but with the type of wood I’m burning ( pine and split small) we would have to run it on high a lot when the temps drop and then the room just is too warm in the mid 80’s plus more reloading.

Next year I have some better wood and split bigger so I will be able to have a better idea of how it works but so far I’m happy with it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

How many times do you load it in 24 hours ?

How many times do you load it in 24 hours ?

If I am the only one who does it then two times. If the wife wakes up and wants it warmer and not mess with the other one she will turn it up and load it again around noon. Like I said though I am using pretty small splits this year and a lot are not even 16” long. I’m kind of a bad example for the performance of this unit this year. But it’s been working great for what I have been throwing in there.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25