Bio Bricks & Wet Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good point. That's like 3 gallons of water over a week, hardly anything compared to the gallons of water I put through our humidifiers every day.
Yes and you aren't going to get a 10% drop in a week anyway. Probably a couple percent of internal percentage drop at most.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I was trying to offer a little suggestion of practical sympathy to those of us experiencing wet wood syndrome.
I get that. But there is no benefit at all in using wet wood. Well there is for me because it keeps me busy cleaning the mess made and replacing liners after fires. But no benefit for the user.

You'll notice that some of the people who have plenty of dry wood actually have to buy and operate humidifiers to get some moisture in the house, something that those with wet wood can do without!

Actually this is far from the truth. Wood heat does not dry out the air in the house. The air that is being replace in the house will have an effect on the house. If the air outside of the house is dry for an extended period of time eventually the air that is in the house will have exchanged and the dry air will have moved into the house. This will make the house feel dry. It is always the air that is being replace that will have an effect on the house whether the air is dry or humid.

Reactions: Marshy
Actually this is far from the truth. Wood heat does not dry out the air in the house. The air that is being replace in the house will have an effect on the house. If the air outside of the house is dry for an extended period of time eventually the air that is in the house will have exchanged and the dry air will have moved into the house. This will make the house feel dry. It is always the air that is being replace that will have an effect on the house whether the air is dry or humid.

I'm not sure I'm buying this or maybe I just don't understand. The outside humidity in my area has been considerably higher than the indoor humidity at my house throughout this heating season. I have to run a humidifier to maintain a reasonable humidity in the house despite the outside humidity being fairly high.

. The outside humidity in my area has been considerably higher than the indoor humidity at my house throughout this heating season. I have to run a humidifier to maintain a reasonable humidity in the house despite the outside humidity being fairly high.

When air is heated, its ability to hold water increases. So heat air with relatively high humidity and the humidity level drops unless you add moisture with a humidifier or other method ----including letting wet firewood dry.

The air that is being replace in the house will have an effect on the house. If the air outside of the house is dry for an extended period of time eventually the air that is in the house will have exchanged and the dry air will have moved into the house. This will make the house feel dry. It is always the air that is being replace that will have an effect on the house whether the air is dry or humid.

Not quite. as I described in my last post, when you heat air its ability to hold moisture increases.

So cold air when heated sees the humidity level drop. What is 100% humidity at 0 degrees is far lower humidity at 70 degrees, even with the same air.

Charts are available to detail the impact of temperature on humidity levels, if I need to document that...

I don't think he said wood heat dries the air.

TSC in our area ran out of "bio-bricks" at the onset of the recent (now past) cold snap. They usually don't re-order winter items halfway through the winter so likely that's it:(.

When air is heated, its ability to hold water increases. So heat air with relatively high humidity and the humidity level drops unless you add moisture with a humidifier or other method ----including letting wet firewood dry.
Yes but the vast majority of people don't bring enough wood into the house to make any measurable difference in the humidity level of the house. The down sides of burning wet wood greatly outweigh the minute increase in humidity

I don't think he said wood heat dries the air.

So im guessing that some how im not getting the i tension of the original post.. ill go back and reread it.. it sounded to me that the wood heat was drying the house up..

liberty bricks in the front and 2 huge chunks of half seasoned oak in the back of the stove.This is the liberty 1500 cat stove, i let the cat temp reach at least 900 degrees before i hit the bypass, after that i have good heat
Bio Bricks & Wet Wood

Reactions: wooduser